Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Ok, I bit the bullet and upgraded to High Sierra. It all went smoothly and quickly.

I boot from an external SSD (the internal old school HD has Sierra, rarely used, and Boot Camp, Windows 10, sporadic use). On checking the SSD (Sandisk) remains Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I also have an external HD for Time Machine.

Is this satisfactory? Is there any gain for me, far from a power user, to worry about AFPS? How would I go about converting it if there is any great and amazing reason to.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion only, but I'd consider it "a plus" that you DO NOT have APFS on the SSD.

Right now, it's a brand-new file system, some folks seem to be having trouble with it, AND, some older software won't run with it.

If the external boot SSD (I use one of these myself) runs fine "as it is" with HFS+, I wouldn't worry about it.
Instead, I'd just smile and be happy...

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Thanks, that's just what I shall do :)

Having had a browse through the forums I would say your opinion on this is a wise one.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
How would I go about converting it if there is any great and amazing reason to.
"IF" you wanted to check it out, and I agree there is nothing pressing (I did convert and have no real issues with the file system or the performance, but I am having issues turning FV on that I think are unreleated), you could boot into High Sierra Recovery Mode and use DU to convert it. The conversion takes seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.