Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impreza233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
When I updated my macOS 10.12.6 Sierra to 10.13 High Sierra (on a MacBook Pro 15 inch Late 2011 with an HDD) I tried to convert my Macintosh HD drive to APFS, however, I realised that, when I'm on the boot screen, I don't have the recovery partition and, when I boot with Command+R it appears a Recovery that is unable to unmount Macintosh HD. ¿Any solution to this?

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I had a few issues with the recovery partition - I had played around converting back to HFS and then back to APFS and ended up with it in a bit of a mess. I always have a Carbon Copy Cloner backup so booted from that, formatted the internal drive back to HFS, restored the backup onto it, then re-enrolled in the beta programme, was directed immediately to the GM of High Sierra and let it install. I ended up with everything sorted and a recovery partition in the APFS container. In your case I would do a backup using the latest CCC which works with APFS filesystems, and do what I did.

impreza233

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
I haven't got any luck playing with my partition, so I erased my volume and I rolled back to Sierra... I like High Sierra, but, in practice, it doesn't have any new features that engages me to update... I don't have a SSD so I lose all the "mojo" in this update. And Safari 11 will eventually be in Sierra...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.