Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
wow
Im impressed with High Sierra for my beloved MacBook Air 2010 4GB 11"!
for 3 days everything has been solid, fluid and great in 2023
this was an upgrade from Sierra, ElCap Snow leopard.

So
If you have an older MacBook in the closet or need to use older programs,
High Sierra NOW works in 2023!

too bad that OS was garbage in 2017!

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I still use HS daily on my late 2008 15" MBP in my classroom. It serves to remote into my classroom server and the mini that runs my big display for the kiddos, as well as doing password resets and other various classroom tasks. I enjoy using a machine older than all of my students :)

Granted, I quite enjoyed HS back when it was current as well.

tempImageE2TaC6.png

Reactions: MBAir2010

seanmccoye

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
Now running in extra spicy mode when you replace a circa 2008 spindle drive. I started hearing a sound change and knew time was fading rapidly. $60 later -> extra spicy mode enabled.

2009 MBP

vidarm

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2023
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2009 iMac and the previous owner had reset it out of good will, but it is impossible to find a version of Hifg Sierra, or any OS, that allows me to create a bootable USB for the iMac on my new Macbook Air. Do any of you by any chance have the original High Sierra installer available?

Thanks.

Br,
Vidar

seanmccoye

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2009 iMac and the previous owner had reset it out of good will, but it is impossible to find a version of Hifg Sierra, or any OS, that allows me to create a bootable USB for the iMac on my new Macbook Air. Do any of you by any chance have the original High Sierra installer available?

Thanks.

Br,
Vidar
Don't laugh. (never owned a mac before). Used original snow leopard media to create on SL partition and an empty one. RTFM'd all the DOSdude1 literature and tried 4 different usb sticks. Sadly the one which worked was the 8gig so im stuck on high sierra for the time being.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
I have High Sierra and think it's garbage, compared to the latest OS. It's a pleasure to work on a new Mac. High Sierra is so buggy and glitchy and so many things don't work anymore, but it depends what you do and what you use it for of course.

I wish I could update, but I can't. The new OSs are so much more advanced than High Sierra and every time I return to it after I used someone elses more recent OS, I could cry, so crappy it is.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I have High Sierra and think it's garbage, compared to the latest OS. It's a pleasure to work on a new Mac. High Sierra is so buggy and glitchy and so many things don't work anymore, but it depends what you do and what you use it for of course.

I wish I could update, but I can't. The new OSs are so much more advanced than High Sierra and every time I return to it after I used someone elses more recent OS, I could cry, so crappy it is.
Why the need to call it "garbage". So agressive words with no purpose. First, what do you expect? HS being Monterey as is in 2023? Buggy and glitchy, absolutely not. It does what it does perfectly, But it doesn't the 2023 new fads. Always surprised with people using old machines with old OS dreaming they will be up to date until they fall apart. My old 2013 iMac i5 stil rocks at mailing, texting, Word, FileMaker, Safari, photo retouching. But I'm a patient guy who don't mind waiting 1,1 second more to have my photo retouched...

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Why the need to call it "garbage". So agressive words with no purpose. First, what do you expect? HS being Monterey as is in 2023? Buggy and glitchy, absolutely not. It does what it does perfectly, But it doesn't the 2023 new fads. Always surprised with people using old machines with old OS dreaming they will be up to date until they fall apart. My old 2013 iMac i5 stil rocks at mailing, texting, Word, FileMaker, Safari, photo retouching. But I'm a patient guy who don't mind waiting 1,1 second more to have my photo retouched...

Actually you'll laugh, but I now have Ventura on a new Mac, and I'm surprised how glitchy it is compared to High Sierra. 😂 I thought High Sierra was a catastrophe, but Ventura (even though it looks very nice and has many great features) is even more glitchy and buggy. High Sierra was slow and annoying, but at least it was more stable compared to Ventura.

And I understand that you don't mind waiting 1,1 second more to have your photo retouched, but I like to have things done very fast and I work very fast in general and don't want to wait. I think it's just better if it works instantly, but that's very subjective of course.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Actually you'll laugh, but I now have Ventura on a new Mac, and I'm surprised how glitchy it is compared to High Sierra. 😂 I thought High Sierra was a catastrophe, but Ventura (even though it looks very nice and has many great features) is even more glitchy and buggy. High Sierra was slow and annoying, but at least it was more stable compared to Ventura.

And I understand that you don't mind waiting 1,1 second more to have your photo retouched, but I like to have things done very fast and I work very fast in general and don't want to wait. I think it's just better if it works instantly, but that's very subjective of course.
As you say friend, very subjective. But I understand you need and like things done fast, very fast. In that case, you need to have a next M3 iMac, don't you? As for myself, I intend to keep my old 2013 iMac until it falls into pieces or until I become bored with it. Honestly, I'd love to have a yellow 24 iMac...

Reactions: WuMing2

WuMing2

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2023
Typing from the same laptop of OP. Just sent off a Message via widget in Notification center. Opening the Messages app is a pain but the useful shortcut is there for who remembers it.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there

yep I was experiencing bad things in June 2023 on an extra ssd drive that I eared and installed Snow Leopard.
I wish I could blame the MBA 2010 or 4 GB but El Capitan works better (the osx replaced)
if Mojave was as bad as High Sierra in 2019 I would be typing on a Dell XPS now instead of my MBAm1.
whew!

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Actually you'll laugh, but I now have Ventura on a new Mac, and I'm surprised how glitchy it is compared to High Sierra. 😂

My MacBook Air ships with Monterey and I'm sticking with it as long as I can. I had nothing but trouble on the daily with Ventura. The bugs are like The Nutty Professor. Imagine Jerry Lewis demonstrating his new contraption and somehow it drips a speck of ink and he doesn't realize it's on his hand and as he's talking to somebody he wipes his face giving him a "Fu Manchu" mustache. It's that kind of compounded absurdity. Rather than an application crashing or RAM overflowing, it's as if the developers are working-in bugs as pranks, just to see if anybody notices.

If you dislike High Sierra, what OS did you like? What was your most pleasant OS X experience?

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
My MacBook Air ships with Monterey and I'm sticking with it as long as I can. I had nothing but trouble on the daily with Ventura. The bugs are like The Nutty Professor. Imagine Jerry Lewis demonstrating his new contraption and somehow it drips a speck of ink and he doesn't realize it's on his hand and as he's talking to somebody he wipes his face giving him a "Fu Manchu" mustache. It's that kind of compounded absurdity. Rather than an application crashing or RAM overflowing, it's as if the developers are working-in bugs as pranks, just to see if anybody notices.

If you dislike High Sierra, what OS did you like? What was your most pleasant OS X experience?

Can't say really. I've been using Apple for over 20 years and all OSs had their own issues.

I'd always recommend sticking with some of the latest OSs. A new OS has a lot of advantages, the problem for me as a customer and consumer is when companies like Apple save money on quality, especially when paying such high prices. Other customers of Apple should stress this as well so that Apple adapts to the issue/demand, and delivers higher quality products.

Reactions: MrCheeto

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Quality? You know Apple is based in California, right?

Just in case anybody thinks I’m using hyperbole, this is LITERALLY how I was greeted for updating to Ventura. Not even logged into the system for the first time and I’m getting Punk’d.

The mouse is connected but there is no Continue to click. Apple summed up in one screen pic.

Attachments

• 4C8B8B94-91F4-4A3B-B25F-FEE5907CF979.jpeg
    4C8B8B94-91F4-4A3B-B25F-FEE5907CF979.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 249

alicela1n

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
Sadly Firefox is dropping support, so is Google Chrome, and many other applications now.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
I had high sierra on my macbook air 2010 and reverted to mountain lion last week.
yes some internet browsers still work with icloud, but i wanted to revert to 2012 user interface graphics.
Mojave and this recent week catalina are loosing :apple: icloud and itunes support.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there

If Mojave was never as good, i would be typing this today on a surface go or my dell xps 13” instead of the iPad.
that is how i disliked High Sierra and the butterfly keyboards back then.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
What’s wrong with HS exactly?
when the OSX was released most had problems with battery, file sharing, photo editing in PHOTOS and spinning balls after working for an hour or two. The remedy  was publishing was getting a new MacBook with at least 8GB so I purchased a dell XPS instead. Now well last week I lost some airplay privileges and the os was just bland were the MacBook Air 2010 4GB is running ML and happy!

I forget that i created this post earlier this year after a clean install
overtime high Sierra collects data that slows the system down.

there were some great things though, the display as watching movie was excellent and the speed when fresh, was responsive. The OSX allows 32 bit programs and can still airplay to an iPhone and interact with an iPad.
Mojave does run circles around that version.

hope this helped!

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I like Mojave but I believe it did break some 32bit compatibility or at least compatibility for many apps that were last working in HS.

Only reason I wouldn’t go older is HS has APFS, Metal graphics support and is the oldest OS a lot of PCI cards work with, ie USB-3, NVME RAID cards, networking cards etc. They may work with older systems but at least not officially.

Guess I have to find out.

alicela1n

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
It was Catalina that dropped 32bit support wasn't it? In theory most 32bit apps should run fine on Mojave unless some ABI breakage took place, or other changes that resulted in breaking old applications.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Catalina completely removed the 32bit resources but Mojave unwittingly or carelessly broke several. It’s often reported that certain apps didn’t survive the High Sierra-Mojave update. Even if some apps opened they may have become hobbled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.