Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2016
I upgraded to High Sierra, my Mac came up and asked me for usual stuff – and then suddenly, it came up with „please enter the password you use to log in to [my older MBP which is currently used by a friend but I still have a user account there]“.

Until now, I trusted Apple to not upload sensitive information to iCloud or who-knows-where unless I tell macOS that it's okay. I did never turn on password sharing on any of the two Macs and my older MBP still runs Sierra. They are not in the same local network. So this means that without my consent, Apple has somehow shared my password with some server, somewhere.

To summarise how this makes me feel: WHAT THE **** APPLE?! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Not only is sensitive information being leaked without my consent – this also is terrible customer service. My password on that other MBP is autogenerated and I do not have it memorised. The password is stored in 1Password – an application I do not have access to before logging in to my Mac! Usually, I let 1Password show me the password on my primary Mac when I log in to that other one. If I hadn't synchronised my 1Password database with my PC, I would have been lost!

Has anyone any idea what is happening here? What is the reason for this decision? Why does Apple think it is okay to share my password with its servers? Where is it stored and how can I get it removed?

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Apple doesn't have your password. Some of your data uploaded to iCloud will be encrypted with your iPhone passcode. I guess they are also using the OS X login password, that's why you had to enter it. It is needed to decrypt some of your data from iCloud.

Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.