Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
hey guys have a mac pro 5.1 running High Sierra with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB. I want to upgrade to Monterey. I ordered an XFX AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8gb GPU. I never done this before, I have been reading that I need to have Monterey already running to install that GPU. I am a little bit confused here, do i have to go from ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB to a GPU that supports metal, install Monterey then install that XFX AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8gb GPU? Or can i perform a clean install of Monterey with the XFX AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8gb GPU already in the machine? Also, can XFX be patched? If you guys can clear the dark cloud of confusion for me i`ll really appreciate it. Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
First thing is to patch the RX 6600XT with a PC or a SPI flash programmer, since an unpatched NAVI GPU will make the Mac Pro to not complete POST. Without patching the GPU firmware with Syncretic patch you can't do anything else. AFAIK, all RX 6600XT can be patched.

After that, with EnableGOP help to provide pre-boot configuration support, you can use the RX 6600 to install Monterey via an OCLP created installer. You will install the patched RX 6600 in the Mac Pro, a new disk where Monterey will be installed and the OCLP Monterey installer USB key, which you will select from the BootPicker.

If injecting EnableGop to the Mac Pro BootROM is too complex for you, I always include an additional BootROM image with EnableGop already injected with my BootROM reconstruction service.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
First thing is to patch the RX 6600XT with a PC or a SPI flash programmer, since an unpatched NAVI GPU will make the Mac Pro to not complete POST. Without patching the GPU firmware with Syncretic patch you can't do anything else. AFAIK, all RX 6600XT can be patched.

After that, with EnableGOP help to provide pre-boot configuration support, you can use the RX 6600 to install Monterey via an OCLP created installer. You will install the patched RX 6600 in the Mac Pro, a new disk where Monterey will be installed and the OCLP Monterey installer USB key, which you will select from the BootPicker.

If injecting EnableGop to the Mac Pro BootROM is too complex for you, I always include an additional BootROM image with EnableGop already injected with my BootROM reconstruction service.
Thank you. I will consider this good news as it`s doable. I will let you know how it went. Thanks again..

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You should also first upgrade to Mojave since it provides a vital firmware patch.

No Mojave upgrade without a METAL supported GPU that is recognized by High Sierra, RX 6600XT only works with Monterey and newer macOS releases.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do you even have 144.0.0.0.0 already? If you don't have, it's a no go.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
i have 140.0.0.0.0

No go, you need 144.0.0.0.0.

I bet that the BootROM reconstruction service will be cheaper and easier for you than buying/borrowing a METAL supported GPU and learning all the intricacies.

Btw, this is useless if you don't patch the RX 6600XT with a PC or a SPI flash programmer.

vaiopcg0

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
Good morning, friends of the forum, I have had a problem for some time with my Mac Pro 5.1 A1289 2012. It turns out that for a while it turns off by itself. Note that when the 15 hours have passed for suspension, instead of suspending itself, it turns off. I really don't think it is a source problem. of power because of what it did all the time it seems more like the bios could someone help me with my problem I think that rebuilding BootROM could solve this issue I hope for your prompt response

ATT: Wilmer Figuera

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Good morning, friends of the forum, I have had a problem for some time with my Mac Pro 5.1 A1289 2012. It turns out that for a while it turns off by itself. Note that when the 15 hours have passed for suspension, instead of suspending itself, it turns off. I really don't think it is a source problem. of power because of what it did all the time it seems more like the bios could someone help me with my problem I think that rebuilding BootROM could solve this issue I hope for your prompt response

ATT: Wilmer Figuera

It's more probable that is a SMC or PSU failure than the BootROM. You should run ASD/AHT first.

AHT/ASD:

You need to run AHT and ASD (if is a cross-flashed early-2009, you'll need to run mid-2010 versions) to be sure that you don't have any hardware issues.

You need an Apple OEM GPU (HD 2600XT, 8800GT, Quadro FX 5600, GT120, HD 4870/5770/5870) to run AHT/ASD. AHT/ASD can be used with PC flashed GPUs, but will fail mid test when the GPU sensors are checked. Non flashed PC GPUs won't work at all. You need to boot completely vanilla, no OC, to use AHT/ASD.

You can get AHT links and instructions on how to install it on this GitHub article.

AHT, you need 022-4831-A.dmg:

The ASD version that you need is 3S149. The AHT instructions are also valid for creating an ASD USB key and Apple provides a PDF with it.

ASD, you need 3S149:

For people that have an early-2009 cross-flashed with MP5,1 firmware, you will need to run the MacPro5,1 versions of AHT (022-4831-A) and ASD (3S149).

Anyway, I'll send you a PM with instructions on how to get the required files for the BootROM reconsruction, the service cost and turnaround time.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hi all..can anybody tell me what kinda power cable should i use for an rx580 8gb gpu...i understand its 8 pins to dual 6 pins..but is 8 pins male to 6 pin female or male to male? thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi all..can anybody tell me what kinda power cable should i use for an rx580 8gb gpu...i understand its 8 pins to dual 6 pins..but is 8 pins male to 6 pin female or male to male? thanks

dual mini-PCIe 6-pin male to 8-pins male.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.