Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Hi everyone.
I'm running a late 2012 Mac mini with two SSDs in RAID0, and was wondering if APFS will support this configuration upon installation. Reading up on the documentation for APFS it says it fully supports RAID, so I was just checking in someone here has tested this scenario.

Thanks a lot.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
I believe it is possible but you have to use diskutil in terminal to configure the SSD RAID—you can also do the update install from terminal.

eykaus

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Hi, just to tell you that the clean installation and update on an iMac 11.2Mid 2010 of 21.5 "with x2 SSD Kingston on RAID 0 16GB Ram has worked perfectly with the MacOS High Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs, without APFS, only Mac OS Plus registered.
We have tried it as a resource since High Sierra does not allow to install natively in RAID volumes.
Just Use: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/
Excellent day! .

Reactions: GuilleA

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Hi, just to tell you that the clean installation and update on an iMac 11.2Mid 2010 of 21.5 "with x2 SSD Kingston on RAID 0 16GB Ram has worked perfectly with the MacOS High Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs, without APFS, only Mac OS Plus registered.
We have tried it as a resource since High Sierra does not allow to install natively in RAID volumes.
Just Use: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/
Excellent day! .

Thanks man. It's a shame I won't be able to run Mojave on RAID. I tried so many different approaches but it wouldn't boot from an APFS formatted RAID.

eykaus

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
You can Boot Mojave without APFS, only with MacOS Plus registered: I'm writting you from a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) con RAID 0 y Mojave; I copied all to an external volume (usb 3.0), and next upgraded to Mojave, finally I cloned it to el RAID 0 into the Macbook Pro...

Maybe the patch from dosdude1 works like the High Sierra patch for upgrade directly or a clean install Mojave without cloning all the volume: http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

:)

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
That's an interesting approach. I was under the assumption that Mojave forced APFS on SSDs, and that I wouldn't be able to do a clean install without it. How about system updates? Can you apply them?

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
How about system updates? Can you apply them?

Looking for a solution here.

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 installed to a RAID 0 (2x SSDs) thanks to dosdude1 patcher. When I try to apply the latest security update patch it gets stuck mid-installation. Are there any other ways to apply the security patches?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.