Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hanna Morales

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Hi, I need some advice. I have a mid 2014 Macbook Pro still running on Mavericks, I need to upgrade to use some upgraded versions of Autocad/Revit.. at first I thought of jumping to Mojave or Catalina, but after reading some threads now I don't know this is a good idea. I think Sierra or High Sierra would be a better fit. Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
From memory, for me, High Sierra was improved. But I think one of them converts to APFS and I did recently have issues going from Mavericks directly to High Sierra (I think) on an old 2012 machine.

I'd go Sierra first, then try to upgrade if you want to go further.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
High Sierra runs great on my Late 2011 MBP and my Late 2012 iMac, I would stick with that.

It installs on HFS.
[automerge]1588578634[/automerge]
Also, High Sierra still gets security updates.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, I need some advice. I have a mid 2014 Macbook Pro still running on Mavericks, I need to upgrade to use some upgraded versions of Autocad/Revit.. at first I thought of jumping to Mojave or Catalina, but after reading some threads now I don't know this is a good idea. I think Sierra or High Sierra would be a better fit. Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance
Mojave would be fine on this computer. Sierra is completely unsupported now, and High Sierra will get security updates for probably just a few more months.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009

Both Mac OS Sierra and High Sierra were Okay from my experience. I’m assuming some versions of AutoCAD and AutoDesk Revit softwares cannot work with APFS system of Mojave and Catalina. High Sierra can work on both HFS+ ( Mac OS Extended Journaled ) or APFS. The security updates for High Sierra likely may end late this year, just something to take note. I’d go for High Sierra which has been stable. Thanks

AutoCad.jpg

Reactions: edubfromktown

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Both Mac OS Sierra and High Sierra were Okay from my experience. I’m assuming some versions of AutoCAD and AutoDesk Revit softwares cannot work with APFS system of Mojave and Catalina. High Sierra can work on both HFS+ ( Mac OS Extended Journaled ) or APFS. The security updates for High Sierra likely may end late this year, just something to take note. I’d go for High Sierra which has been stable. Thanks
APFS compatibility issues with Autocad for Mac are resolved now: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/auto...-lt-2017-for-mac-apfs-file/m-p/7410269#M27994
[automerge]1588684358[/automerge]
After doing clean install from High Sierra can I go back to Mojave from this Apple link
Yes, you can get the Mojave installer through those instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.