Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Hi, how's High Sierra (or Mojave if it was somehow possible) like on a Macbook Pro Early 2011?

I am thinking if I should go ahead with upgrading it from Sierra but I thought I should ask around first lest I encounter bugs

Note that I am using it with Bootcamp for Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks!

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Definitely not Mojave for a non-retina screen. It makes it blurry, don’t you know. It also makes it hard to downgrade the OS.

Reactions: foliovision

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes Mojave it should be listed just for retina macs...but if you want you can but it will not be the best exp

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Yes Mojave it should be listed just for retina macs...but if you want you can but it will not be the best exp

Thanks! Indeed that should be the case but I got the Download button for Mojave so I thought I would ask as a form of sanity check. At this point, I am expecting the file to be downloaded but then get a rejection prompt afterwards

I’ve had High Sierra on my early 2011 since it came out without any issues.

Thanks for the confirm!

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Font issue is not the problem, it can be fixed. The old font rendering engine is still there in the Mojave, it is just disabled, and can be enabled.

But, still, if I had the 2011, I would keep using the High Sierra. Mojave needs the patch to run properly on that Mac, and there is always a possibility of the future update breaking something, because that Mac is not supported by Apple.

High Sierra will still be OK for few years, it's gonna receive the regular updates.

Reactions: LiveM

seabreeze56

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
I have a macbook pro mid 2012 running on high sierra. Also debating whether or not to upgrade to Mojave. I'm not sure if mine is retina or not?? I"m assuming it does not have it because I don't see it listed anywhere on "about this mac." But like someone said that High sierra should be good for a few more years, maybe there's no rush? I had issues several years ago when nothing was supported anymore when I was on an old version and had issues trying to upgrade way later on. So I don't want that to happen now on down the road.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Font issue is not the problem, it can be fixed. The old font rendering engine is still there in the Mojave, it is just disabled, and can be enabled.

But, still, if I had the 2011, I would keep using the High Sierra. Mojave needs the patch to run properly on that Mac, and there is always a possibility of the future update breaking something, because that Mac is not supported by Apple.

High Sierra will still be OK for few years, it's gonna receive the regular updates.

Interesting, I didn't know there are patches for such ways to get Mojave but you got a point there. Who knows how long the patch would be supported, Apple or not.

I have a macbook pro mid 2012 running on high sierra. Also debating whether or not to upgrade to Mojave. I'm not sure if mine is retina or not?? I"m assuming it does not have it because I don't see it listed anywhere on "about this mac." But like someone said that High sierra should be good for a few more years, maybe there's no rush? I had issues several years ago when nothing was supported anymore when I was on an old version and had issues trying to upgrade way later on. So I don't want that to happen now on down the road.

I was more afraid of High Sierra or any new macOS breaking stuff so I had to ask

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
2015 MBPro. Sierra was solid as a rock. I’m considering going back.

High Sierra significantly increased drain while sleeping and my system became less stable.

Mojave doubled down on sleep problems, sleep is now practically useless, but it’s been rock solid in terms of stability. Far more stable than HS.

I had upgraded from Sierra to HS. For Mojave I did a clean install.

Very stable. Sleep is totally broken.

• Wow

seabreeze56

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
2015 MBPro. Sierra was solid as a rock. I’m considering going back.

High Sierra significantly increased drain while sleeping and my system became less stable.

Mojave doubled down on sleep problems, sleep is now practically useless, but it’s been rock solid in terms of stability. Far more stable than HS.

I had upgraded from Sierra to HS. For Mojave I did a clean install.

Very stable. Sleep is totally broken.

So do you have to shut it down each time you go off line? I noticed that HS increased drain while sleeping for sure and the less stable as you noticed as well. But the sleep issue bothers me with Mojave as you have seen :( I don't to have to shut it down each time.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
So do you have to shut it down each time you go off line? I noticed that HS increased drain while sleeping for sure and the less stable as you noticed as well. But the sleep issue bothers me with Mojave as you have seen :( I don't to have to shut it down each time.

Sleeping from 6pm until 8am drains about 25%-30%. Under HS it was 10% or so. Under Sierra perhaps 4%-6%. So I can leave it in sleep, it just wakes up very depleted.

• Wow

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Totally. That's what I do right now. Just have to close all my apps and re-open them again when re-booted.

Ah I see thanks. Sometimes I notice that even after I do this, after a few days, there will be almost no battery left after I switch it on again

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
That's not good news on battery life.

Seems like it since it is close to 7 years old and it was a hand-me-down. I had another laptop with similar age and also similar battery health

No, certainly not. Some people force hibernation by changing the options. There might be someone people where it's just working as designed, I'm not sure.

I am unsure either but am definitely not using hibernation; it's either on or off for me. I'll need to test further

seabreeze56

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Seems like it since it is close to 7 years old and it was a hand-me-down. I had another laptop with similar age and also similar battery health

I am unsure either but am definitely not using hibernation; it's either on or off for me. I'll need to test further

I have never found hibernation on mine. Not sure mine has it.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You can enable it via the command line. I don’t have the syntax to hand but it’s done with pmset IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.