Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi.

This is a quick review of macOS 10.13.3 High Sierra (build 17D47) on a 13" MacBook Pro from 2010 (my old and loyal MacBook Pro, my main machine since I bought it almost eight years ago). My MacBook Pro has a MX100 256GB SSD and 8GB of memory RAM at 1067MHz.

My impressions with macOS 10.12.6 Sierra were very, very good. The performance of Sierra was among the best from all the macOS versions I've used, with releases like Mavericks. And High Sierra is near of this perfection.

To put it bluntly, Sierra had an espectacular performance in my machine, and High Sierra is almost there. So, for me, keeping into account all the improvements and security fixes it brings, definitely is worth the update to High Sierra.

For instance, in Sierra, switching between different desktops or full screen apps was buttery smooth. In High Sierra, it is not a pain, but it is not buttery smooth. But I have to say, this behaviour is not fault of my old system, because I've tried it on new 12" MacBooks and 2017 13" MacBook Pros, and it has the same stuttering when making this animation.

Invoking Control Center is equally smooth as in Sierra, and the system, overall, is speedy and responsive. If Sierra was a 9.5 out of 10, High Sierra is a 9 out of 10. And it's not that bad for me.

Battery life is almost the same (if not better, but I haven't checked this yet deeply). I had a problem with the battery, telling me to repair it, and with High Sierra all those issues dissapeared. I recovered the "time remaining with battery" menu, from Sierra 10.12.1, and after installing Keeping You Awake, the ad blocker Wipr, SMCFanControl for the fans, the compressor/uncompressor Keka (one of the best compressors on the Mac App Store), Spotify and other programs, my system is performing quite well.

New File System: APFS

So, what did I do in regards of the new File System? I had decided I was going to try APFS, and I'm glad I made that choice. From the install USB Drive, I booted and then, formatted my Crucial SSD MX100 with newest Apple File System (APFS). I'm going to try the encrypted option in the future, although my machine is pretty old, I'm curious; but for now, I just formatted my Crucial SSD with simple APFS (no encrypted, no other options). And then, after the quick process of formatting the drive -it was less than a second-, I began the installation of High Sierra from scratch, as I always do.

I left it one night without going to sleep, in order to make its indexations. I disabled Location Services, Siri, and some other things in order to cut possible CPU usage. And so far, so good. Temperatures are OK, performance is OK, and battery life is OK.

If I notices something else, I will update this review.

Feel free to share your impressions of macOS High Sierra on an old (2009-2010) device.

Next step: formatting my empty external Hard Drives (mechanical, not SSD) to APFS

Reactions: dianeoforegon

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Nice write up. I work with users to upgrade and this is very helpful for me. Will like to hear results on the rotational drive. I have a user now still in Mavericks with a 2010 MBP with the original drive. Trying to decide if Sierra or High Sierra is the way to go.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Nice write up. I work with users to upgrade and this is very helpful for me. Will like to hear results on the rotational drive. I have a user now still in Mavericks with a 2010 MBP with the original drive. Trying to decide if Sierra or High Sierra is the way to go.

Thank you for your kind words.

The SSD and the 8GB of RAM are key elements in order to have a responsive machine. I'm afraid that with only 4 GB of RAM, and a mechanical hard drive, I'd stay on Mavericks since is one of the most efficient releases ever. If the machine has at least 8GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive, you can try Sierra, it is a very good release. I cannot talk about my experience with Sierra and a mechanical drive because I switched to an SSD when I had Mavericks. This is, in 2013??? wow man, time flies.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Update #1 (one week of use): Battery life is even better than Sierra. Maybe just slightly.

I've updated High Sierra with the latest supplemental update, so the build number now is 17D102

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Update#2: Currently I'm installing macOS 10.13.4 on an 2012 MBP. Similar to my 2010 MBP, but two generations later.

The update was somewhat 2.3GB, and the system before the update was on 10.13.3 so quite a big update.

While installing, it has rebooted at least 2 times. Maybe 3 times. A bit weird.

I plan to install 10.13.4 on my 2010 MacBook Pro, so I'll keep you up to date on how it performs on both systems.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Hi.

This is a quick review of macOS 10.13.3 High Sierra (build 17D47) on a 13" MacBook Pro from 2010 (my old and loyal MacBook Pro, my main machine since I bought it almost eight years ago). My MacBook Pro has a MX100 256GB SSD and 8GB of memory RAM at 1067MHz.

My impressions with macOS 10.12.6 Sierra were very, very good. The performance of Sierra was among the best from all the macOS versions I've used, with releases like Mavericks. And High Sierra is near of this perfection.

To put it bluntly, Sierra had an espectacular performance in my machine, and High Sierra is almost there. So, for me, keeping into account all the improvements and security fixes it brings, definitely is worth the update to High Sierra.

For instance, in Sierra, switching between different desktops or full screen apps was buttery smooth. In High Sierra, it is not a pain, but it is not buttery smooth. But I have to say, this behaviour is not fault of my old system, because I've tried it on new 12" MacBooks and 2017 13" MacBook Pros, and it has the same stuttering when making this animation.

Invoking Control Center is equally smooth as in Sierra, and the system, overall, is speedy and responsive. If Sierra was a 9.5 out of 10, High Sierra is a 9 out of 10. And it's not that bad for me.

Battery life is almost the same (if not better, but I haven't checked this yet deeply). I had a problem with the battery, telling me to repair it, and with High Sierra all those issues dissapeared. I recovered the "time remaining with battery" menu, from Sierra 10.12.1, and after installing Keeping You Awake, the ad blocker Wipr, SMCFanControl for the fans, the compressor/uncompressor Keka (one of the best compressors on the Mac App Store), Spotify and other programs, my system is performing quite well.

New File System: APFS

So, what did I do in regards of the new File System? I had decided I was going to try APFS, and I'm glad I made that choice. From the install USB Drive, I booted and then, formatted my Crucial SSD MX100 with newest Apple File System (APFS). I'm going to try the encrypted option in the future, although my machine is pretty old, I'm curious; but for now, I just formatted my Crucial SSD with simple APFS (no encrypted, no other options). And then, after the quick process of formatting the drive -it was less than a second-, I began the installation of High Sierra from scratch, as I always do.

I left it one night without going to sleep, in order to make its indexations. I disabled Location Services, Siri, and some other things in order to cut possible CPU usage. And so far, so good. Temperatures are OK, performance is OK, and battery life is OK.

If I notices something else, I will update this review.

Feel free to share your impressions of macOS High Sierra on an old (2009-2010) device.

Next step: formatting my empty external Hard Drives (mechanical, not SSD) to APFS

Curious...I have a MacBook pro 2010 and want to try High Sierra on it. What "some other things..." that you disabled in order to cut possible CPU usage? Understand about Location Services and Siri (no need for it).

Thanks!

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Curious...I have a MacBook pro 2010 and want to try High Sierra on it. What "some other things..." that you disabled in order to cut possible CPU usage? Understand about Location Services and Siri (no need for it).

Thanks!
Exactly, I never activate Siri nor Location Services. I can’t remember much more because that’s a years old post, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.