Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
Reading all the horror stories on here made me believe the installation would be a nightmare, but in actuality, it went smoothly on two machines, 2017 macbook 12 and 2017 iMac 5k.

The only glitch thus far is that I use a Samsung T3 SSD for my photos storage, and the iMac takes a while to boot up when the T3 is attached via USB. With it detached, boot up is fast as usual.

On the more positive side, I use an expanded desktop on the MacBook which stressed the GPU beyond its capabilities so some animation was jerky; with High Sierra, it’s smooth as butter.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
My install crashed because i had my samsung t3 connected, and in disk utility now after fixed OS in recovery mode its not possible to convert the T3 to APFS, so something is going on with these t3 drives i think

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Install went fine for me on two machines. One was a MBP that has been running High Sierra betas since June and was running the GM Candidate before I went over it with yesterday's release. The second machine was an iMac that was running Sierra. Went fine as well, including leaving the spinner HFS.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have it installed on 4 machines now, two of which aren’t even officially supported. Works great.

Will install on a fifth machine soon.

The only glitch thus far is that I use a Samsung T3 SSD for my photos storage, and the iMac takes a while to boot up when the T3 is attached via USB. With it detached, boot up is fast
Go to System Preferences —> Startup Disk and choose your boot drive.

At next boot up it should boot fast. When you have USB drives plugged in and you haven’t pre-picked a startup drive, macOS will search all the USB drives for bootable volumes, thereby causing a delay. BTW, this is not unique to High Sierra. It’s been this way for ages.
[doublepost=1506424397][/doublepost]
My install crashed because i had my samsung t3 connected, and in disk utility now after fixed OS in recovery mode its not possible to convert the T3 to APFS, so something is going on with these t3 drives i think
Weird. My T5 works fine (HFS+). It has my Sierra backup and is bootable.

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryJoe33

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
High Sierra may be the "Snow Leopard" that some of us have been waiting for. Installed it on three computers and it is butter smooth! Very impressed.

I have read reviews that this is a "boring" update and a snoozer....but at the end of the reviews, they praise it?!?

For those who are tired of the "eye candy" and the bells and whistles", this update seems to me one of the best in quite some time. I guess I am the minority that cares more about productivity, stability, reliability and speed now a days!

My hat is tipped to Apple for the first "out-of-the-door" and the first day with no noticeable headaches or consistent bugs. Of course there is probably some that I have not found yet...but...for a first version "out-the-door" I am impressed.

iu.gif

Reactions: LarryJoe33

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
The second machine was an iMac that was running Sierra. Went fine as well, including leaving the spinner HFS.

I’ve got a mid 2011 iMac running Sierra. I was worried about performance under High Sierra, especially since it runs on the HDD. How do you find performance on your iMac with a HDD?

coreyk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
SF Bay Area
No problems here, I've installed and have been running High Sierra with success on both my late-2015 iMac 5k and my late-2016 Touch Bar MBP. It actually fixed a number of problems that I had with recent Sierra updates on my iMac.

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
No issues so far updating my '16 MBP. 6 min download and 44 min install. Seems a lot quicker.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Neither of these machines are officially supported by High Sierra, but nonetheless, as mentioned earlier, High Sierra works great on them.

DB4533AE-831C-4A8E-B067-E0FF1C02CC82.jpeg

Prerequisite is that they have SSD and at least 4 GB RAM. If you have a laptop hard drive or just 2 GB RAM, it's going to be painful.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
No issues whatsoever ever , all was fast and smooth. Even Text replacements that have been a nightmare for years have synced perfectly ! Big hat tip to High Sierra and iOS 11 .

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I’ve got a mid 2011 iMac running Sierra. I was worried about performance under High Sierra, especially since it runs on the HDD. How do you find performance on your iMac with a HDD?
Mine is mid 2011 too 8GB memory, 500GB spinner, it actually runs a bit faster under High Sierra. Go for it. I think High Sierra is a more efficient OS than Sierra. No bloat as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.