Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeshep

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Midwest US
Re: you being able to open existing Peak files in Mojave, I'd be curious if you are able to record to the APFS drive and save a file on it? That seems to be the glitch for Peak on Mojave. But, does record to/saves fine on the external HFS+ HD per testing last night so that much is confirmed. In trying to save to the APFS+ volume (and i set that as the record drive in Prefs) i repeatedly got a dialogue from Peak stating "you must save to the same volume that you recorded on. (which is effectively what i was trying to do). So, seems that is something it doesn't like about APFS Otherwise, everything seems to work fine. And yes, I can open existing files on the APFS volume, just can't record "New" ones to it. vs. the external HFS. Just an FYI. Tho i don't suspect you want to use Peak again anyway: )

Also a sort of roadblock i'd forgotten about is the old Bias authorization scheme. When migrating to a new machine, the license data doesn't carry over, so one still has to use the Bias Authorization Manager. As long as there are authorizations left. Fortunately had some still associated with the serial # and i managed to get it on and authorized on the new Mini.

mikeshep

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Midwest US
Mark thanks for that info. so far i found everything's functional in Peak 7 on Mojave -but
seems unless i assign its' 'scratch' disk (i.e. record-to drive) as the external-- or
anything but the internal (APFS) HD, i get the "you must save to the same volume that you
recorded on" error message. This is why i get the feeling there's an issue with APFS...as
that's the only variable that isn't the same as previous installations on past OS's right up
to High Sierra. Thanks for that link. I didn't think about trying Peak "6" but i have it so
i guess, worth seeing if it has the same Save issue as P7, but i suspect it would.

Reactions: MarkC426

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Peak" ... that's the old "Bias Peak", is that right?
Just wondering... how long since the "last release" of this software?

Might be time to start thinking of a replacement.
I like Cubase.

Although I guess perhaps I shouldn't be the one to talk... I'm still using "Picasa" and have "stayed back" at Mojave and 32 bits just to keep using it.

As a personal experience, I have a 2018 Mini (which shipped with Mojave).
I set up my internal drive with 4 partitions:
- Boot
- Main
- Media
- Music

I originally tried to set up the boot partition as HFS+, but when I found Software Update wouldn't work properly with it, I threw in the towel and made it APFS.

The three remaining partitions, however, remain HFS+.

What would happen if you moved the Peak application itself to an HFS+ volume?
Would it run that way without problems?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think it may be related to library or extension files being written to disk, which are on the OS drive, even if the application is elsewhere.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Mark thanks for that info. so far i found everything's functional in Peak 7 on Mojave -but
seems unless i assign its' 'scratch' disk (i.e. record-to drive) as the external-- or
anything but the internal (APFS) HD, i get the "you must save to the same volume that you
recorded on" error message. This is why i get the feeling there's an issue with APFS...as
that's the only variable that isn't the same as previous installations on past OS's right up
to High Sierra. Thanks for that link. I didn't think about trying Peak "6" but i have it so
i guess, worth seeing if it has the same Save issue as P7, but i suspect it would.
What if you were to point it to an internal folder but symlink that to a hfs drive after

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.