Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centradragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
(edited for clarity)

Hey guys! The last time I posted you guys were incredibly helpful, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Problem: I'm unable to install the High Sierra (or Mojave) firmware. It looks like it's installing the firmware correctly, resets like normal, then is back to exactly where I started.

Question: Could RAID on my internal storage be messing up the High Sierra firmware installation, even if my current OS is on an unrelated drive?

Current specs:

MacPro5,1
Version: OSX 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Processor: 2x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 96GB 1066MHz DDR3
Graphics: OWC Radeon RX 580 8GB (in computer as "AMD R9 XXX 8192MB", metal-compatible)

And the hard drive setup:

Hard Drives:
x1 512 GB SSD (OS is here)
x1 256 GB SSD (Scratch)
x2
2TB RAID Storage HDD (Files)

I bought this computer as-is from my old place of work. The drives are all probably non-OEM, and I'm unsure of what striping of RAID those two file HDDs are using.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Extending the life of this computer by even a few years is hugely helpful; some software is still optimal (Photoshop) but being stuck on the old version of Blender is Not Great and I'm unable to use the newest Archipack/grease pencil features I've paid for. :(

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am having a little trouble following your post, but if I understand it correctly, you think that having a RAID0 might be preventing the install of High Sierra?

If you are trying to install the OS on the RAID0, that would be your problem. If you want to run High Sierra on the RAID0, install on a single drive, and clone to the RAID0. There might be other ways as well, but that way works for me.

If you cannot install High Sierra at all, on any drive, I suspect this is a firmware issue.

I had this issue on an iMac, and I couldn't install the firmware on a third-party SSD, so I needed use an OEM Apple HDD internally to install the required firmware. After that, I was able to reinstall the third-party SSD and install High Sierra on it.

There might be another way, but that is how I did it.

centradragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
I am having a little trouble following your post, but if I understand it correctly, you think that having a RAID0 might be preventing the install of High Sierra?

If you are trying to install the OS on the RAID0, that would be your problem. If you want to run High Sierra on the RAID0, install on a single drive, and clone to the RAID0. There might be other ways as well, but that way works for me.

If you cannot install High Sierra at all, on any drive, I suspect this is a firmware issue.

I had this issue on an iMac, and I couldn't install the firmware on a third-party SSD, so I needed use an OEM Apple HDD internally to install the required firmware. After that, I was able to reinstall the third-party SSD and install High Sierra on it.

There might be another way, but that is how I did it.
Thank you for the reply, and sorry if my post is a bit hard to parse out.

To my knowledge, my OS drive is non-RAIDed and on its own.

But wow, I wouldn't have ever thought that a non-OEM drive might be causing the issue! I'm almost positive all my drives are non-OEM (It's 11 years old, after all), so I guess I either treat this like a Hackintosh or find a OEM drive to use to get the whole thing going.

Again, I can't thank you enough! I never would have thought my drive makes might be an issue.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I wouldn't have ever thought that a non-OEM drive might be causing the issue!
Well, technically it would be a firmware issue.

Once you have the correct firmware, the non-OEM drive wouldn't be an issue at all.

You can check your firmware number in the system profiler. Post the firmware here, or look it up online to see if it is old or current.

centradragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Well, technically it would be a firmware issue.

Once you have the correct firmware, the non-OEM drive wouldn't be an issue at all.

You can check your firmware number in the system profiler. Post the firmware here, or look it up online to see if it is old or current.
You nailed it! It does look like my firmware (MP51.007F.B03) is out of date.

I did a more focused search, and it looks like it might just be my graphics card not having the right drivers built in. I don't think I still own the OEM card, so I'm a little stuck with how I could update the new card... more research required, haha!

Seems weird Apple won't update the firmware to a compatible graphics card in use, but... I guess worst case, I could figure out how to turn my legit Mac into a Hackintosh. ;(

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I did a more focused search, and it looks like it might just be my graphics card not having the right drivers built in.

Are you talking about High Sierra or Mojave?

AFAIK, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from using High Sierra with the OEM GPU on the Mac Pro 5,1. I am pretty sure it is officially supported by Apple.

Mojave is also officially supported on the Mac Pro 5,1 if you have a Metal capable GPU.

But, if you don't have the correct firmware, this might prevent you from installing High Sierra on a SSD.

There are a few work arounds, but the best method I can recommend is using an Apple HDD, temporarily install it in your Mac Pro, install Sierra, then download the High Sierra installer. After you do this, the High Sierra installer *should* install all necessary firmware to allow future installs of High Sierra on SSDs.

There are other ways to get High Sierra on your Mac Pro if you do not have access to an Apple HDD, but personally, I would like to have that firmware installed.

BTW, there could be another way to install the firmware, I just don't know it.

centradragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Are you talking about High Sierra or Mojave?

AFAIK, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from using High Sierra with the OEM GPU on the Mac Pro 5,1. I am pretty sure it is officially supported by Apple.

Mojave is also officially supported on the Mac Pro 5,1 if you have a Metal capable GPU.

But, if you don't have the correct firmware, this might prevent you from installing High Sierra on a SSD.

There are a few work arounds, but the best method I can recommend is using an Apple HDD, temporarily install it in your Mac Pro, install Sierra, then download the High Sierra installer. After you do this, the High Sierra installer *should* install all necessary firmware to allow future installs of High Sierra on SSDs.

There are other ways to get High Sierra on your Mac Pro if you do not have access to an Apple HDD, but personally, I would like to have that firmware installed.

BTW, there could be another way to install the firmware, I just don't know it.
Firstly, thank you so much for being patient and explaining things out! This is such a great learning experience. (I know newbies can be frustrating to deal with, and it means a lot to me you're taking the time to help!)

I've been focusing on High Sierra since it's older, but both versions would allow me to run the most up-to-date software. I'm fine with either OS, really. (I made some USB installers with both, just in case)

Luckily I work for a company that uses Macs, so I'll ask if I can borrow a OEM drive and try that out first! A lot of threads I've seen walk through the process (again, thank you for pointing me that direction!), so I'll refer to those for the nitty-gritty details and troubleshooting once I have an OEM drive.

I won't look for an OEM graphics card unless I'm really out of ideas, and I bet your hunch that it's my hard drive is correct. "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." ;)

Thank you so much, and hopefully in a week or two I'll have a happy update.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.