Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Damn they rushed through the little features fast. Barely anything new. I'm excited about the APFS for sure but wow nothing about better Siri integration, nothing about Dark Mode UI.

I doubt we can expect any major features until fall release?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This release was definitely more about behind-the-scenes improvements. Changing filesystems is a big deal.

This. I am ok with that b.c I honestly experience bugs pretty often on Sierra. Just fix something before jumping to a new OS.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Isn't that already available?
I think he's referring to a system-wide dark mode, not just for the menu bar and Dock or certain apps. Developers would of course need to support this in their apps, and I pretty much gave up hope and stopped expecting it with this release.
[doublepost=1496693296][/doublepost]
This release was definitely more about behind-the-scenes improvements. Changing filesystems is a big deal.
Apple File System is definitely the biggest feature of this OS. Even the OP mentioned that.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Don't care about the name .. I'm glad they're working on *behind the scenes* features, as opposed to just more eye candy!

APFS is ' Optional ' at this point.

Last edited:

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
lol what a complete joke. what is this "update"? I'd be ashamed to go up on stage and pitch this thinly-veiled point update.

there's not a single new feature announced that isn't very trivial (APFS is already available and has been available for some time).

no dark mode is total kick in the nuts.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
He kind of lowered our expectations by saying they were going to build on Sierra and refine it; but there was nothing appealing to me at all in High Sierra. Even the name is a joke.
[doublepost=1496696644][/doublepost]
Does it install with APFS by default? Do we get a choice?

Default file system from install.

Reactions: mkeeley

zooole

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
If the UI is smooth, I'm totally fine. Right now it's much slower than W10, even on a new mac pro. iTunes animations a frequently laggy, like many windows while resizing.

But yeah, the features I would've looked forward to are:

- Improved Siri, merged with Spotlight.
- UIKit (could've been possibly the biggest advancement)
- Native window snapping

Xcode 9 is about speed and fixing too, I don't think it's bad at all. If we will see the improvements I'm going to be very happy about this release.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I hope that WebRTC is optional, like WebGL. There are some privacy concerns due to IP leakage caused by existing WebRTC implementations in other browsers.

Does anyone know whether Apple is switching users to case-sensitive APFS?

Reactions: mkeeley

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The last filesystem change was with Mac OS 8.1 (January 1998), which supported HFS+ for the first time.
[doublepost=1496697568][/doublepost]
...Does anyone know whether Apple is switching users to case-sensitive APFS?
You can choose the conversion before you install High Sierra.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This isn't anything new:

Leopard->Snow Leopard
Lion->Mountain Lion->Mavericks (this took two generations to get stable b/c Lion was such a mess)
Yosemite->El Capitan
Sierra->High Sierra

Snow Leopard is always the one mentioned simply because it had a long life cycle and was VERY refined. People forget the first several versions were very unstable like most other releases, but overall it was the best version of OS X for its time.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
If the UI is smooth, I'm totally fine. Right now it's much slower than W10, even on a new mac pro. iTunes animations a frequently laggy, like many windows while resizing...
The UI in DPs is usually a lot slower than in the final version. Do not expect to see Metal 2 improvements in the first DPs of High Sierra!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...Snow Leopard is always the one mentioned simply because it had a long life cycle and was VERY refined. People forget the first several versions were very unstable like most other releases, but overall it was the best version of OS X for its time.
...and Apple uses the GCD (Grand Central Dispatch) API to optimize the performance of apps for their new 18-Core Xeon iMac Pro. GCD appeared first in Snow Leopard and Apple optimized apps for Snow Leopard via GCD.
[doublepost=1496698076][/doublepost]
You can choose between case-sensitive/case-insensitive?
Not at this time, only between HFS+ and APFS, if you install the OS on a HFS+ volume.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not at this time, only between HFS+ and APFS, if you install the OS on a HFS+ volume.

Nobody seems to know what happens when you do the conversion. I am really anxious to know whether Apple finally makes the switch to case-sensitivity.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I already run case-sensitive HFS, so APFS will not be a problem. I assume you have to restore from a Time Machine backup to switch to APFS. It took years to get ZFS into perfect shape and APFS has some of the same features, so I shudder to think of the potential bugs lurking in APFS.

Last edited:

zooole

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
The UI in DPs is usually a lot slower than in the final version. Do not expect to see Metal 2 improvements in the first DPs of High Sierra!

Nah, I will be patient, if it's stable, I will install a public beta for Xcode 9 but that's all. Although I don't know if Xcode betas have public releases or only dev ones (sorry, I know it's off topic).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.