Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDPlazed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
For the past few days, I have noticed that instead of the usual 10 - 14 hours battery that I usually have, my battery has plummeted to almost 3 - 4 hrs per charge as I noticed huge battery drain from the Firefox browser. I only have 2 - 3 tabs open on my Firefox tab with only 2 extensions downloaded: an Ad Blocker and an Auto Discard Extension. My browser is arm based and not intel, and I have not installed any intel based apps at all. I was wondering if others could help me with my battery problem. Thank you.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Does battery life improve when using Safari instead of Firefox?

We're you getting 10+ hours with Firefox in the past? Any system changes such as app or os updates in the past few days?

KDPlazed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Does battery life improve when using Safari instead of Firefox?

We're you getting 10+ hours with Firefox in the past? Any system changes such as app or os updates in the past few days?
Yes, previously I was able to continuous use Firefox for a couple of hours without the battery suddenly draining. I have not updated my MacBook Air a few months ago. My macOS version is 11.4 but all of the sudden my battery keeps draining. I have no apps installed from the web except Firefox and BetterSnapTool.

Reactions: Audit13

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Yeah, Firefox 100 here - I have been testing between Safari / Edge as well. Firefox just drain super fast. No video no music running just website tabs like this website, reddit and a total of 4 tabs opened this morning. I have also gone to shower and left it on.

In the graph below, you can see how it drops rapidly with Firefox running only.

At some point yesterday, Firefox was running my M1 Pro at 60-70%. I had to restart it.

Mito 2022-05-28 at 13.47.05@2x.png

Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Are you guys using extensions? Maybe a setting is causing a stuck process? Firefox is fantastic for me. Very efficient.

I did three hours of working from home in Firefox and only lost 10% of my battery. I'm well on track for 20 hours of usage with tons of standby time thrown in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.