Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
people would probably call this "the most expensive iPhone there is" because its sapphire...

Then again, those same people would be nuts to even buy it....

Just using a case and take care is all you ever need. Trouble is, most people reckon they need there phone 24/7 in their hand...

Look up or something....while i talk to ya..

*edit: i didn't reliase that's what sapphire looked like.... A mountain of gue

kdarling

macrumors P6
people would probably call this "the most expensive iPhone there is" because its sapphire...

I'm not sure adding an extra $10 in parts qualifies anything as expensive or luxurious :)

*edit: i didn't reliase that's what sapphire looked like.... A mountain of gue

It's a solid, hard crystal, called a boule. It weighs over 100 kg.

It's grown over several weeks in a round furnace, then the grown sapphire cylinder is removed.

They slice up the cylinder into thin round discs, then cut those into rectangles and polish them.

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
Keep dreaming. iPhone won't start at 32GB. Why would Apple change something that most people didn't complain about (16GB storage capacity)?
Let's forget about 5.5" this time and go with one new screen size per 2 years.

2014 (Subsidized)
iPhone 6: 16/32/64GB at $199/$299/$399
iPhone 5S: 16/32/64GB at $99/$199/$299
iPhone 5C: 16/32GB at at $0/$99

iPhone 6S (Sapphire?): 16/32/64GB at $199/$299/$399
iPhone 6 (6->6C to differentiate w the look?): 16/32/64GB at $99/$199/$299
iPhone 5S: 16/32GB at at $0/$99

I think Apple may finally differentiate the look of iPhone somehow (by phone color chassis?) to make sure that there's no confusion at Apple stores for the S model vs previous year model like 5S/5->5C/4S in 2013.

If you think 16gb phones will still be around by 2015 you are dreaming. This has GOT to be the year. Everyone else is selling 32GB high-end phones for 199.

Dream big bro. Don't let the man crush your spirit.

----------

5.5 is not going to start at 299.......pipe dream. I think 399 is starting at best.

299 32 399 64. 100 plus for a sapphire option

399 32 499 64 599 128

all 5.5s will be sapphire.

Yeah, 399 phones will sell well. The Note will be 399 too then by your logic.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
I'm thinking the whole phone case and screen should be made of sapphire. With sensors everywhere. The non screen parts could be coloured. Think of the possibilities!

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom

mores

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
This is where Android phones, like the Galaxy S5, shine.

Buy a 16GB/32GB base phone, then pop in a 64GB (~$40) or 128GB (~$100) microSDXC yourself, to get up to 160GB total storage.

10 terrific things you can do with the Galaxy S5 but not the iPhone 5s - BGR
Android phones do not "shine". So you have 160gig of crap in your pants pocket ... whoopdy do. How will you fill it with stuff when there is no simple way to sync with your PC. Have you tried Kies?
I really, really gave it my best to help father in-law get set up with his Galaxy S4. Foreign waters, so to speak. "Challenge accepted".
What happened was that Outlook now has no more of his contacts, they're all just on his phone. Kies will not work properly and cut out transfering contacts (from what? Where? They were DELETED BY THE PHONE!) and Music.
How is is possible for a user to send a text message to my email? What kind of idiot program does this? Why are there like 5 user accounts installed on the phone for just one person? Why is there everything Android + everything Samsung + loads of other crap on there?
<end rant>

Yes, you may be able to save a couple of bucks. Let's say 100. But is it worth it?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Android phones do not "shine". So you have 160gig of crap in your pants pocket ... whoopdy do. How will you fill it with stuff when there is no simple way to sync with your PC. Have you tried Kies?
I really, really gave it my best to help father in-law get set up with his Galaxy S4. Foreign waters, so to speak. "Challenge accepted".
What happened was that Outlook now has no more of his contacts, they're all just on his phone. Kies will not work properly and cut out transfering contacts (from what? Where? They were DELETED BY THE PHONE!) and Music.
How is is possible for a user to send a text message to my email? What kind of idiot program does this? Why are there like 5 user accounts installed on the phone for just one person? Why is there everything Android + everything Samsung + loads of other crap on there?
<end rant>

Yes, you may be able to save a couple of bucks. Let's say 100. But is it worth it?

I'm no Android fan but what you really needed to do was avoid Keis. You needed to get the data into the Google system like GMAIL. You should have exported from Outlook into a CSV file and imported into his GMAIL. That would have covered the contacts.

Ash.Brown

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
north carolina
i think im going to go for the smaller screen size. the bigger one will be such a hassle to carry around at the gym :confused:and plus the bigger one will be expensive

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm no Android fan but what you really needed to do was avoid Keis. You needed to get the data into the Google system like GMAIL. You should have exported from Outlook into a CSV file and imported into his GMAIL. That would have covered the contacts.

As for other files - airdroid is simply brilliant. I've never used Kies.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
School must be out.

Hah, yes, I used a funny meme so I must be 12.

No, I just find it hilarious that you sad little fanboys cry and poke fun at the huge amount of android devices, but when presented with the exact same thing in your own phone, it's suddenly magical and brilliant and smart and the best thing to ever happen.

But please, call me a child. It enforces the idea that you're afraid of fragmentation.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Hah, yes, I used a funny meme so I must be 12.

No, I just find it hilarious that you sad little fanboys cry and poke fun at the huge amount of android devices, but when presented with the exact same thing in your own phone, it's suddenly magical and brilliant and smart and the best thing to ever happen.

But please, call me a child. It enforces the idea that you're afraid of fragmentation.

What are you blathering about? We have 3 android phones (and 2 iphones) in our household. The iphone I have now I greatly prefer to my years of android. Fanboys? It sounds like you are the fanboy, I owe allegiance to any brand, unlike you it seems.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Who anticipated? Cook never said the 5C sold less than they expected. They never made any expectations public. The quote that everyone seems to want to try to adapt to their own narrative had to do with iPhone sales MIX.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ted-says-demand-was-different-than-we-thought

"Though Apple doesn't break down sales of individual iPhone models, Chief Executive Tim Cook admitted on Monday that sales of the iPhone 5c represented a smaller mix of total handset sales than his company anticipated."

Google search.. took me 20 secs to find and post.

I would say that in addition to Apple's forecasts, a lot of people in the industry and the public and the rumors boards were anticipating a budget iphone. You will still find analysts today saying that Apple needs a budget product to expand its market share.

Finally, the fact that Apple did not release a "c" phone at the September 2014 announcement shows they are somewhat displeased with it or find it unnecessary. Unless one views the iPhone 6 as the "cheap c model" and the 6 plus as the new "5s premium model".

----------

When the 5c is updated, the current one will take the 4s's spot on the free line... There's your cheap iphone.

Yes, the 5c is now available free on contract. The problem is the price of the phone is still about double that of a Nexus or Lumia. I love the 5c, but Apple simply doesn't have a budget phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.