Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
I'm trying to make a few highlight reels of a few events I did on a recent trip. There's tons of footage, which means tons of stuff to strip away.

I remember iMovie HD had a feature called Magic Movie back in the day, but I see that it was apparently stripped out of the MacOS version in the '08 release. It appears they re-introduced it, but it only exists in the iOS versions of iMovie (major wtf!). I could do this on my iPad Air, but I can't understand why they wouldn't have brought this back to my Mac where I have a nice big screen and tons of storage to edit with.

I'm also looking at some of the features of Premier Elements. It looks like I could use that app to speed up the process of stripping away junk and streamlining the editing process.

Anyone do something similar or speak to which apps work best?

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Update: Premier Elements has a good featureset, but the app itself is 💩.

It looks like the easiest way for me to combine footage is to import it to my iPad and have it run it's Magic Movie feature there, and then continue on to the rest of my edit on my Mac.

Why they don't have Magic Movie on the Mac is ... wtf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.