Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
I must give a shout out to @Andrey84 for a recommendation of TurboBoost Switcher Pro. I have been using this for the past week on my 15" 2015 MBP & the improvement in battery life & reduction in fan noise has been amazing. It's easily the best $10 that I have spent. I use my MBP for light work like email & web browsing plus Photos & previously the fans were forever kicking in. I tried Macs Fan Control & set the fans to only run with higher temperatures which helped a little but not enough.

Battery life has improved by about 50%. My morning routine is to get up then lie in bed with a cup of tea reading my email, forums Facebook etc for a couple of hours (don't judge me I'm retired😀). Now that I have installed TurboBoost Switcher Pro I am lying in bed for at least three hours before the battery is exhausted.

Performance seems totally unaffected. The most CPU intensive work I do is probably exporting JPEGs from Photos & that doesn't seem to take any longer than previously. This guy did some benchmarks

It might be that the results that I am seeing reflect the fact that the thermal paste on the CPU heatsink needs replacing but the dramatic increase in battery life & reduction in fan noise point to something more fundamental. Possibly it's Intel's implementation of Turbo Boost or perhaps it's Apple's use of it?

For those with a 2015 MBP or indeed any Intel MBP you have nothing to lose by trying the free version of the software but if you find that it works for you the Pro version is only $10 & rewards the developer. The Pro version allows you to automate startup of the software.

Usual disclaimer I have no connection or financial interest I am just a very happy user.

The free version is open source on GitHub https://github.com/rugarciap/Turbo-Boost-Switcher or visit the developer's website for the Pro version https://rubgape.gumroad.com/l/YeBQUF?layout=profile

Last edited:

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Thanks so much for the shout out, @nigelbb! You certainly gave my gloomy London morning a boost ;). I'm really glad it made such a difference for you. Someone recommended TBS to me, maybe on these forums, maybe somewhere else, 3 years ago.

I agree it's a great application. I've been using it on my i7 MBP 2015. It's a massive improvement in terms of the noise and the temps, but with battery life it's maybe 10-15% only. My wife bought a separate copy for her i9 iMac 2020. She is really pleased with how quiet her Mac became, 'it's a different computer now!'

Turbo Boost Switcher Pro is a mature tool with complex functionality of conditional logic (disable/enable Turbo Boost based on CPU Temp, battery level, application(s) running a.o.), so it can be configured really precisely.

I'm not affiliated with it either, just another happy user.

Last edited:

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
It's a good app yeah. It helps a lot with the MacBook Pro 2017 for work that man, this things gets hot with nothing.

This app makes sense with Apple M processors? I'm curious about it

Reactions: Andrey84

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
so its main purpose is to save battery life?

this article make it sound a little dangerous, i am not sure if we should play with the internals

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
This app makes sense with Apple M processors? I'm curious about it
No. Turboboost is a clock frequency increase thing only on Intel processors.

But sure, it's good at what it does, if you need it.
I used it to quiet down the fan on my i7 mini.
You choose to let, or not let, your processor increase the clock rate and heat, with heavy load. You sacrifice that little extra processing capability for a little less heat, a little less battery drain, and some peace and quiet from the absence of throttling fans.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
so its main purpose is to save battery life?

this article make it sound a little dangerous, i am not sure if we should play with the internals
It's only function is to control if the turboboost kicks in with heavy load, or not.

Nothing dangerous at all.

Reactions: Andrey84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.