Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
So driver v1.1.26 seemed to be working fine with Mac OS 11.5.1, but today, I updated Parallels Desktop, and it installed something that required me to 'Allow Access' in Security and Privacy. I did so, and restarted. Upon reaching the desktop, my Mac said it did not recognize the 4 980 Pros in my RAID, and asked me what to do. I clicked 'Ignore' 4 times and restarted. Same problem - no RAID access. I checked, and the HighPoint driver was apparently not loading, so I re-installed it, and my RAID immediately appeared on my desktop. Shut down and started up again, and no RAID. Restarted, and still no RAID.
Apparently, the new version of driver for Parallels Desktop is interfering with the HighPoint driver. I cannot report the issue to HighPoint because I was banned from Support. Can someone else with a HighPoint RAID and Parallels Desktop see if they have the same issue and if so report it to HighPoint?

ALim

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
So driver v1.1.26 seemed to be working fine with Mac OS 11.5.1, but today, I updated Parallels Desktop, and it installed something that required me to 'Allow Access' in Security and Privacy. I did so, and restarted. Upon reaching the desktop, my Mac said it did not recognize the 4 980 Pros in my RAID, and asked me what to do. I clicked 'Ignore' 4 times and restarted. Same problem - no RAID access. I checked, and the HighPoint driver was apparently not loading, so I re-installed it, and my RAID immediately appeared on my desktop. Shut down and started up again, and no RAID. Restarted, and still no RAID.
Apparently, the new version of driver for Parallels Desktop is interfering with the HighPoint driver. I cannot report the issue to HighPoint because I was banned from Support. Can someone else with a HighPoint RAID and Parallels Desktop see if they have the same issue and if so report it to HighPoint?
I too am having the exact same issue with my 7101A on 11.5.1, however I don't have Parallels installed. On boot up I get the prompt windows for the unrecognised drives (strangely only 3 window even though I have 4 980 Pros RAIDed), like you I ignore each. HOWEVER, I found an unsustainable workaround which consists of me running the install of the drivers but BEFORE clicking restart to complete the installation my RAID is useable like normal. Appears just as it did on Catalina with all normal functionality. Though I have to keep the 'complete installation' window open as it does not allow you to close without restarting and once I do restart I'm back to square one again.
I've tried contacting Highpoint support with no luck yet.

Edit: Just to say that I only upgraded to Big Sur a couple of days ago so that was what definitely broke it on my end.

lbeale

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I'm having the same issue - I run Parallels, but I noticed this happening any time another program requires me to allow access. I contacted HP support, so we'll see what happens. Previously I would just reinstall the driver and everything would work fine. Now, any time I restart the driver doesn't load. My workaround is to reinstall the driver and force-quit the installation before the restart and I can run fine (this way I don't have to keep the complete installation window open).

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
After this first happened, I restored my boot drive from a clone (made before upgrading Parallels) and all was good, except that I didn't have the latest version of Parallels. Today, v17 of Parallels came out, so I cloned my boot drive and started up from the clone. I then installed Parallels v17. Restarted, and my HighPoint RAID appeared to be fine. Ran Parallels, and it asked me to allow access, which I did. Quit Parallels, and re-started my Mac. My RAID volume appears to still be fine.
Either Parallels had some glitch with permissions before, or - more likely - I accidentally touched some access for HighPoint when I was in there. Either way - I have now run the latest version v17 of Parallels several times, and re-booted my Mac several times, and my HighPoint RAID appears to be fine.
Looks like my Windoze 7 Ultimate VM is broken, but at least my RAID still works.

Last edited:

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've just done the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur (using the latest drivers/GUI) and it's broken my Highpoint drivers as well. I've tried every combination of wiping the files/removing the cards/reinstalling and restarting, that I can think of. But everytime I start the machine, the Highpoint kext is there in my Extensions folder. But Big Sur isn't loading it.

I can manually load the kext via Terminal, and that allows my Highpoint RAIDs to magically reappear on the desktop, and the WebGUI gives me access and control again (as if nothing was wrong). But as soon as I restart the machine, I'm back to square one, and I have an unloaded kext again.

I've abandoned the Highpoint control for the time being, and just moved to software RAIDs through Disk Utility. But I'm getting considerably slower speeds using Apple RAID, compared to what the Highpoint versions would give me - so I'd like to get it working again.

I'm not using Parallels or anything like that.

Has anyone figured a way to get the Highpoint Kext loaded natively in Big Sur?

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
Have all you guys that are having trouble with Big Sur updated your HighPoint driver? Do you have your Boot Device Security set to 'None'? That would prevent their kext from loading on boot as described above.
I have had no issue with my RAID working with Big Sur until the second to last Parallels update, and it's probable that issue was my fault (see entry above). The latest HP driver is v1.1.26, and if you are upgrading from an earlier version, HP recommended to me via e-mail that I remove the RAID card from my Mac before uninstalling the driver via Terminal (instructions are with the earlier versions of the drivers) and then reinstall the RAID card prior to installing the new driver. I did as they suggested, and have had only the one issue mentioned since updating to Big Sur. For what it's worth, that was how I installed the last HP driver BEFORE v1.1.26. I just ran the v1.1.26 installer with the card installed.

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I seem to have got mine working again. But I didn't change the process at all, simply removed a couple of the now redundant kexts that I had in my extensions folder, from running Radeon VIIs in Catalina (lilu, a custom downvolting kext and radeonboost). With those three removed, and a fresh deletion and reinstallation of the Highpoint drivers, everything seems to be playing happy families again. ?‍♂️

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
v1.1.26 seems to work fine with Mac OS 11.5.2. Still no sign of a revised HighPoint driver for upcoming MacOS 12. I keep checking.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
Anyone know if HighPoint is planning to support Monterey with new drivers for their RAID cards? I can't find any indication on their website, and Monterey is due out in September or October.

ALim

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
I too am having the exact same issue with my 7101A on 11.5.1, however I don't have Parallels installed. On boot up I get the prompt windows for the unrecognised drives (strangely only 3 window even though I have 4 980 Pros RAIDed), like you I ignore each. HOWEVER, I found an unsustainable workaround which consists of me running the install of the drivers but BEFORE clicking restart to complete the installation my RAID is useable like normal. Appears just as it did on Catalina with all normal functionality. Though I have to keep the 'complete installation' window open as it does not allow you to close without restarting and once I do restart I'm back to square one again.
I've tried contacting Highpoint support with no luck yet.

Edit: Just to say that I only upgraded to Big Sur a couple of days ago so that was what definitely broke it on my end.
I have been talking to Highpoint support but their suggestions hadn't worked (removing the depreciated kexts and running a command to manually load each time. Behaviour had been exactly the same although coincidentally Apple released an update for Big Sur which I ran and now everything appears to be working as previous (previous to updating to Big Sur).

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
I tried installing the latest version of Parallels this morning (v17.0.1) and it somehow disabled my HighPoint RAID. I tried re-installing the HP driver, and the drive appeared on my desktop, but after a restart, it was gone again. I then went to Security & Privacy to make sure the HP driver was 'blessed', which it was not, but after blessing it and a restart, no RAID drive.
Next, I tried re-installing the last version of Parallels 16, and after re-installing/re-blessing the HP driver, a restart yielded, once again, no RAID. If you are using Parallels with a HighPoint RAID, you should probably wait for the next version of Parallels, because v17.0.1 appears to kill HighPoint's driver. I was hoping v17.0.1 would restore my ability to run my Windoze 7 VM, but I need my RAID more, so I restored my last bootable Mac OS backup.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
v1.1.26 seems to work fine with Mac OS 11.6. Still no sign of a revised HighPoint driver for upcoming MacOS 12. I keep checking. Anyone out there running Parallels with their HP RAID? I still can't install v17.0.1 (Parallels) without losing access to my SSD7103 RAID.

lbeale

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
v1.1.26 seems to work fine with Mac OS 11.6. Still no sign of a revised HighPoint driver for upcoming MacOS 12. I keep checking. Anyone out there running Parallels with their HP RAID? I still can't install v17.0.1 (Parallels) without losing access to my SSD7103 RAID.
I'm running dual 7101-A1's and Parallels 17.0.1. I had to reinstall the driver after upgrading to 11.6, but everything seems to be working fine now. One thing I would suggest is to run the Apple Hypervisor instead of Parallels (you'll lose nested virtualization - if that's needed, this isn't an option). When that is done, you won't need to authorize the kext for Parallels any more. That seemed to be an issue for me.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
This morning, I tried using the Apple Hypervisor with a fresh install of Parallels 17.0.1, and I still can't restore my SSD7103 beyond a restart. I reinstalled the HP driver, but after the required restart, no RAID.
I had a Parallels programmer logged into my Mac on Monday, and he couldn't explain why reducing the ram allotted to Windows 7 to 32BG makes it stable, but my Mac hangs outright when I run Win 7 with 64GB. Note that I can run Win XP and Win 10 with 64GB with no problem.

Chaucer498

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I have been hesitant on upgrading to Mac Sur because of my HP card. I had a feeling that upgrading would cause issues with the driver. I also have a Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB installed that I wondered if the drivers would play nicely.

Are the issues being reported only on system using Parallels? I also have Parallels but don't really use it so I can always remove that.

Does it make sense to upgrade or should I just stay on Cat?

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
I've been using my SSD7103 with Big Sur since it came out (ages ago). The only issue I have had is with the latest version of Parallels somehow disabling the HighPoint driver. I tried it on one of my backup drives, and now I just use the last version of Parallels (17.0.0). I'm hoping the next version of Parallels will play nice with my SSD7103.
You may or may not have other issues upgrading to Big Sur, but a search of the web should tell you what they are. I always keep my Mac OS updated.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
Hmmm. Not sure if this was the fix, but I did a fresh install of Big Sur 11.6 on my backup drive, and then let the installer copy the files, settings, etc from my primary drive. After that I was able to install Parallels 17.0.1 without losing access to my SSD7103. After a couple of restarts and cold starts to be sure everything was working, I cloned my new backup drive to my primary. All seems to be working now.

G10

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
Hello Community -
Hope you can help me out here, I have a 5,1 with open-core 7.5 on 11.6.1(fresh install) on Highpoint 7101 driver 1.1.20 however I am having difficulty with updating the "Device Support update", whenever I have tried my install has stalled and failed. I believe there is a Highpoint driver included in that update the caused this failure.

Has anybody else had this difficulty, if so what workaround did you use or how did you overcome this?

Last edited:

traddad47

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
Having a similar problem with an old RocketRAID 4522 card.
I was having an EFI ROM issue on startup on my MP 7,1, and this card was the culprit. So I decided to try and upgrade the drivers and firmware. When I installed the latest driver from the HP website for the 4522, the RAID pops up and is accessible, but when I restart the system after the installation, it's gone again. WEBGUI also won't see it.
I'm going to time machine backwards because it seems this new driver isn't working on Big Sur 11.6.1.
I will note that I followed the instructions for disabling Secure Boot to No Security, but did not touch SIP since HP says it's for systems OS 10.13x and earlier. Maybe I'll try that later today.
Help!

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Bringing up the thread again.

I am also having problems and I am using the SSD7540 controller in a Mac Pro 7.1.

Installed, removed and re-installed their software and drivers multiple times. The drivers are not loaded during startup. Each time after boot, I need to manually load the drivers. The controller works without drivers but the fan control does not and the fans spin up 100% without the driver.

Code:
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/HighPointNVMe.kext

Does anybody know how to automate the loading of kernel extensions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.