Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Any hikers here?
I've been using Alltrails, and I had subscribed, which gave me the ability to download maps, so I don't need a cell signal while on trail. I do most of my hiking in New Hampshire and this app had good variety. In all honesty, I think 36 dollars a year is a bit over the top, just for the ability to download maps. I guess the straw that broke the camel's back is my saved maps all disappeared, I didn't realize this until I was about to start a hike and of course I'm out of range.

Anyways, long story short, looking for suggestions, I don't mind paying for the ability to save the maps, but within reason.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I use AllTrails AND Gaia GPS. I do pay for the yearly subscriptions for them but if one fails, I have a backup. Just have to remember to download the latest/greatest versions of the respective maps before heading out.

AllTrails isn't perfect but the fact that I can create my own routes and transmit my status back to my wife is a huge help. I use Gaia purely for the fact that I can download entire areas of wilderness with any map that I like. Just recently, I had to use Gaia to tell me what my altitude was because AllTrails couldn't find my location for some reason.

Both have their pros and cons but having both is better than not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.