Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
So, my journey with HKSV cameras has been....interesting.

I started automating my home with a variety of (mostly) HomeKit compatible devices about 3.5 years ago. Added a couple HKSV capable cameras a bit after that and finally a couple more when they expanded the ability to record from unlimited cameras with the larger storage subscription. I have cameras from three different manufacturers.

There were a few issues at the beginning (and some of those issues still exist). The GUI is somewhat quirky and reliability of recording is not 100 percent, but very close. It was acceptable to me for a service I was not paying anything additional for.

I have converted almost all lights in common areas to Lutron switches, which have been completely reliable. I also have an Aqara hub with a large network of motion, door and water sensors that trigger automations. These have been very reliable also, and I haven't needed to change a single battery yet, which I find amazing. I also am using a Level Lock, which is sometimes a bit slow but has been reliable (chews through batteries fairly quickly).

Finally, I run an instance of Homebridge so I can incorporate a Ring camera, dummy switches, and MyQ garage door openers (not reliable at all. Requires a lot of troubleshooting and updates).

This system has been in place for over two years with few problems. Starting in November, reliability for the cameras suddenly went way down. I could still view them at will, but they only recorded maybe one quarter of the actual activity occurring. I would estimate previously it was >95%.

My ISP provides 1 GB fiber service. I have four independent wired mesh access points. Network is rock solid reliable. No changes have been made during this time period.

I tried troubleshooting all sorts of things for months, finally giving up and letting it be the way it was. And this week, magically, they all went back to normal. Very reliable again all of a sudden. Nothing changed on my end (to my knowledge). No idea why only the cameras became unreliable when everything else still worked as before.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any ideas why this happened?

TIA

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When things start going to crap with my HomeKit, the first thing I check is what is the active home hub. 100% of the time, if accessories lose their reliability and/or responsiveness, it’s because a HomePod has taken over as the active hub. When it’s a hardwired AppleTV, HomeKit is amazing. For the record, all my ATV’s are hardwired so I can’t speak about ATV’s on a wireless connection.

Let me take a stab at this… I believe back in November or around that time, there was an update to HomePods but not AppleTV’s. It was a dot dot update. The hub with the higher software will always take over as the hub. I had this same issue during that time and was praying for the next update to come quick (I think to 17.2) when my ATV’s would have the same software version as the HomePods. All my issues magically disappeared when that happened and any one of my ATVs was the active hub again. Does this sound like something that may have affected you?

Reactions: b17777

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
When things start going to crap with my HomeKit, the first thing I check is what is the active home hub. 100% of the time, if accessories lose their reliability and/or responsiveness, it’s because a HomePod has taken over as the active hub. When it’s a hardwired AppleTV, HomeKit is amazing. For the record, all my ATV’s are hardwired so I can’t speak about ATV’s on a wireless connection.
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have also noticed HomePods are less than ideal as active hubs. I really, REALLY wish Apple would allow us to designate an active hub, or at least de-select HomePods. We can turn off the ability for an ATV to be a hub, why not HomePods?

This could possibly be the issue, but I'm not sure because my home for some reason seems to prefer the HomePods to be the active hub. I have three ATVs, all hardwired, and one is the latest version. While troubleshooting, I had to unplug all of my HomePod OGs and Minis to force the active hub to an ATV. I plugged them all back in and sure enough, next time I checked, it had changed back to one of the HomePods.

In short, even during times of relative reliability, the HomePods always seem to be preferred by (my) HomeKit.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have also noticed HomePods are less than ideal as active hubs. I really, REALLY wish Apple would allow us to designate an active hub, or at least de-select HomePods. We can turn off the ability for an ATV to be a hub, why not HomePods?

This could possibly be the issue, but I'm not sure because my home for some reason seems to prefer the HomePods to be the active hub. I have three ATVs, all hardwired, and one is the latest version. While troubleshooting, I had to unplug all of my HomePod OGs and Minis to force the active hub to an ATV. I plugged them all back in and sure enough, next time I checked, it had changed back to one of the HomePods.

In short, even during times of relative reliability, the HomePods always seem to be preferred by (my) HomeKit.
For the next update (17.4), disable auto updates on the HomePods and update your hardwired ATVs first. I’ve had luck with this for keeping them as the active hub.

I don’t believe the ATV can be disabled anymore but yeah, Apple should give us more control over this. Has been a requested feature for quite some time.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
For the next update (17.4), disable auto updates on the HomePods and update your hardwired ATVs first. I’ve had luck with this for keeping them as the active hub.
Great idea. I will try this!

How far behind are your HomePods? Are you keeping them locked at whatever they currently run? I'm not aware of a way to update them incrementally.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Great idea. I will try this!

How far behind are your HomePods? Are you keeping them locked at whatever they currently run? I'm not aware of a way to update them incrementally.
All my devices are up to date, but I always do my ATVs first now. In HomeKit settings, you can disable auto updates on the HomePod. After I update my ATVs, then I do the HP’s one by one.

1708648721150.png

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Ok, yes I knew about how to update the HomePods. I thought you were keeping your HomePods one version behind semi permanently or something.

I'll definitely try holding them back for awhile next time and see if that makes any difference.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok, yes I knew about how to update the HomePods. I thought you were keeping your HomePods one version behind semi permanently or something.

I'll definitely try holding them back for awhile next time and see if that makes any difference.
Nah, I update them, mostly in hopes that every update will fix the awful Siri on them lol.

There was an issue this OS cycle where the HomePods got an update and the ATVs didnt. Think it was 17.1.2 or something like that. Biggest mistake was doing those HomePod updates. My HomeKit was pretty much unusable for that month or two waiting for 17.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.