Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imthatmvrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Georgia, U.S
Hey Guys!

I kinda want to throw this out, but my friend and I both use PowerPC macs everyday and we were thinking about programs for our systems saying that macOS is going to use a new file system. Basically I have a question, What if you just complied a program for PPC? Take Google Chrome for example, I know it cant be ran on a PowerPC Mac, but if you changed the code to make it work with a PPC Mac.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
You could adapt a program to run on PowerPC. But the question is whether it's worth the time. It's not just a matter of running it through a different compiler. You'd need to essentially rewrite most programs and their supporting libraries/run time modules.

imthatmvrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Georgia, U.S
It's all for fun. Because I've wanted Chrome to work with PPC, there is SOOOO many people who have wanted it. I just might look into it.

imthatmvrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Georgia, U.S
If you want to avoid legal trouble, don't duplicate any of the code that isn't open source.
Why Not? It could be fun! Just Kidding, but yeah that's very true I didn't think about that. I mean, if I did use Google's Code just to test if it would work and didn't release any of it, I guess that would be ok?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Why Not? It could be fun! Just Kidding, but yeah that's very true I didn't think about that. I mean, if I did use Google's Code just to test if it would work and didn't release any of it, I guess that would be ok?

As long as nobody but you knew about or possessed the duplicate code.

imthatmvrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Georgia, U.S
Hah! No though, as you stated first, it would too much work for something that wouldn't even really work good on PPC Macs. Sticking with TenFourFox and WebKit for now.

PS. You would know because I just brought it up so its already over. Start the legal problems!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Hah! No though, as you stated first, it would too much work for something that wouldn't even really work good on PPC Macs. Sticking with TenFourFox and WebKit for now.

PS. You would know because I just bought it up so its already over. Start the legal problems!

That's a good option for now. I've used it before. Worked good, but compatibility was an issue on some sites if I remember right.

The biggest issue was with flash sites though. And that's more a problem of outdated flash software.

imthatmvrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Georgia, U.S
That's a good option for now. I've used it before. Worked good, but compatibility was an issue on some sites if I remember right.

The biggest issue was with flash sites though. And that's more a problem of outdated flash software.

Pretty much the best day for PowerPC owners is the day that flash becomes obsolete and HTML5 takes over. Sadly, that's a long time until that happens though.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Well, the latest Midori browser already compiles and runs on PowerPC, albeit under Linux. The same amount of work to get it to compile under 10.4/10.5 would most likely be needed, though. Using Macports might help, but I'm not that knowledgeable in such matters (I've never used Macports for building anything), so I might just be talking out of my arse.

amdgam3r55

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Big companies like doing all this legal shenanigans for copyright protection on their closed-source code to minimize the potential for someone to use the code without the company's permission. However, it is possible to port a legit version of firefox over to ppc (Not necessarily like TenFourFox but a legit firefox with supported plugins like flash). OSX is based on the linux platform darwin/BSD so possibly even some containers located in the code of a linux version of an app can be integrated in some way.
Anyone with the original source code, and anyone using a version of Xcode/Cocoa to port PPC apps to intel can also do it vice versa, however the majority of devs just think that PowerPC is obsolete and no one should use it anymore.
And yes, I hope to see the day HTML5 overthrows Flash

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
You could adapt a program to run on PowerPC. But the question is whether it's worth the time. It's not just a matter of running it through a different compiler. You'd need to essentially rewrite most programs and their supporting libraries/run time modules.

It's pretty much this. See The TenFourFox blog for all of the ungodly problems and headaches Cameron Kaiser (that sexy devil) undergoes from backporting like you're asking. It isn't a fun job and there's a REASON why he's stopping source parity at the upcoming TFF 45 and instead focusing on feature porting/gluing into TFF 45.

https://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It's all for fun. Because I've wanted Chrome to work with PPC, there is SOOOO many people who have wanted it. I just might look into it.

The issue with Chrome, Firefox, and nearly every other newer program is not the code. Objective C is Objective C...

Apple has made additions to and from the language of course, but at the core of every program is still Objective C (and now Swift). That being said, every program on the Mac relies on underlying frameworks and libraries. For example, browsers like Stainless rely on the WebKit framework, which has been long upgraded over the years to what we have today. A command in code that works on OS X 10.10 will not work necessarily in 10.5, though it is WebKit. Since the frameworks and libraries also rely on processor instruction, there is no feasible way to back port the latest code libraries and frameworks to older operating systems.

I am not discouraging you, I am just stating that if you want to get into programming, then backporting programs is not the way to go. Apple gives you the tools for free, essentially drops them in your lap by logging into a free Apple Developer account. You can download the latest OS X SDK for PowerPC and get to work learning. The latest version of the OS X SDK and Xcode for PowerPC is Xcode 3.1.4. It is a great language to know once you have a grasp on it. @128keaton is a really good programmer in Obj-C, and he has numerous apps out on the iOS App Store, so he may be able to give you a hand with any questions. I will also help you, but my knowledge is far less than Keaton's.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
OSX is based on the linux platform darwin/BSD so possibly even some containers located in the code of a linux version of an app can be integrated in some way.
No, it's not Linux. It's UNIX. Not Linux. I keep reading this all the time, and I wonder who spread this misinformation around that Linux = UNIX.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
If I had more knowledge in coding/converting I would love to make a Chromium-based browser for PPC machines, but we already have TenFourFox so I don't see the need put all my effort into it. I would love if all my stuff would sync with Chrome on my other machines and if tabs were their own individual processes (like Stainless).

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If I had more knowledge in coding/converting I would love to make a Chromium-based browser for PPC machines, but we already have TenFourFox so I don't see the need put all my effort into it. I would love if all my stuff would sync with Chrome on my other machines and if tabs were their own individual processes (like Stainless).
Each tab & window having its own memory and process was simply wonderful! It was great to be able to watch video on one window and not have the playback effected when opening and browsing in another. If there was ONE feature from Stainless I'd like to see brought back to PPC, it would be that.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I know this is the PowerPC section, but I really wish someone would make a version of Leopard Webkit for Snow Leopard and/or Mountain Lion on Intel. Firefox is quite a memory hog on my 24" Intel iMac with 3 GB of usable RAM and stock Safari is getting to be too old.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I know this is the PowerPC section, but I really wish someone would make a version of Leopard Webkit for Snow Leopard and/or Mountain Lion on Intel. Firefox is quite a memory hog on my 24" Intel iMac with 3 GB of usable RAM and stock Safari is getting to be too old.

I've taken to using Opera under Mountain Lion on my Blackbook. Quite speedy, handles everything I toss at it, up-to-date, and I've been able to find extensions that are similar (and in one way, better, with Video Downloader Pro) to Firefox. Just a suggestion, since Firefox support for ML has ended, and it's become quite a hog otherwise.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've taken to using Opera under Mountain Lion on my Blackbook. Quite speedy, handles everything I toss at it, up-to-date, and I've been able to find extensions that are similar (and in one way, better, with Video Downloader Pro) to Firefox. Just a suggestion, since Firefox support for ML has ended, and it's become quite a hog otherwise.
If only it were that simple. I tried both Opera and Chrome (now unsupported) and they both have graphical issues on my hardware (24" white iMac with 7600GT and 2.33 GHz C2D). What I really need is Leopard Webkit for Mountain Lion (or Snow Leopard), Chromium-based is a no-go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.