Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mst3000bobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2015
I'm getting back into ice hockey after being out of it for a few years. I like to use my inline skates around the neighborhood if I can't get to the rink.

Is anyone wearing their watch while skating? If so, which workout app activity are you using? I figured "Other" is what I'll try today but I won't get speed or distance. Anyone out there try Outdoor Run with acceptable results?

On a side note, I saw this article about someone using it while playing roller derby. http://www.imore.com/how-apple-watch-changing-my-health-better I probably won't wear the watch while playing hockey since my gloves don't come up far enough. I don't think the watch is designed to take a slash or a puck.

Thanks.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I wore a Fitbit a few times. Wearing short cuffed gloves the Fitbit was destroyed after a collision in the corner.
So I am not willing to risk similar issues with the watch.
For some reason, breaking a $300 stick doesn't bother me as much as. $400 watch.

skyking517

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
I play Ice and have been wearing my Garmin with heart rate monitor under my shoulder pads and its pretty awesome to see what your HR does during a shift, it's cool to get on the bench and see the changes. Two members of my team have been wearing the watch during games, but the HR is not as accurate, I know nothing can really compare to the chest strap, I will most likely keep wearing that during games and just take the watch off.

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I play Ice and have been wearing my Garmin with heart rate monitor under my shoulder pads and its pretty awesome to see what your HR does during a shift, it's cool to get on the bench and see the changes. Two members of my team have been wearing the watch during games, but the HR is not as accurate, I know nothing can really compare to the chest strap, I will most likely keep wearing that during games and just take the watch off.

Nice Air Gear reference. Nice to see some hockey, ice and roller, and inline skating folks asking the same questions I have been asking. Skating is fine, but if you are aggressive (not just skating fast but doing some tricks etc...) and have a chance as falling, I am thinking you are putting too much risk on the watch. Blocking a shot on your wrist when with a glove also puts it at risk. I don't think the "Sports" edition was designed for any other sport other than running, really. Anything that involves contact or balls and pucks can collide with the watch face, or falling and hitting pavement and do a good job cracking it or damaging the casing. I have seen some protective cases out there, but taking a slapper or a snapper to the wrist I can see the thing flying apart. I have the SS Space Black so I am doubtful I will be taking the risk with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.