Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
I'm only about 10 hours in and enjoyed the game; there's some really good stuff in here. It isn't revolutionary but most of the design is solid. I'm not even a Harry Potter fan, but still enjoying the vibe of the world but... performance, ouch, still an issue.

I'm on a 3070 too and other good specs on my PC (NVMe SSD ,etc) and the stuttering in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts is quite annoying. There has to be some weird issue related to something because some people (even people with 4090s) are having this problem, and some not.

I can run the game fine at high

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm only about 10 hours in and enjoyed the game; there's some really good stuff in here. It isn't revolutionary but most of the design is solid. I'm not even a Harry Potter fan, but still enjoying the vibe of the world but... performance, ouch, still an issue.

I'm on a 3070 too and other good specs on my PC (NVMe SSD ,etc) and the stuttering in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts is quite annoying. There has to be some weird issue related to something because some people (even people with 4090s) are having this problem, and some not.

I can run the game fine at high
I’ve not been noticing stuttering With my spec. I’m a bit amazed I can run though the length of Hogwarts, a large complex structure, though corridors, up and down stairways, inside to outside onto the grounds without a screen/visible map load.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Trolls seem to be naturally magic resistant (you do less damage) and have a lot of health.

That troll is relatively easy since the encounter is outside and you can disengage without too many issues. Since the troll will be at range, it will throw rocks which your shield can defend against.

Outdoors, I rarely fight anything head on. I like to attack from stealth and then disengage / re-stealth if I don't kill the enemy in the initial sequence. I then repeat until the enemy is dead. Fighting trolls, this is a safe strategy but it takes a long time to kill them.

Later on in the game, you will learn how to make a magic loom in your room of requirement. You can make gear enchants on the loom which will really buff you. Blue quality gear can use level 1 enchants, purple quality gear can use level 2 enchants, and orange quality gear can use level 3 enchants. I believe that some quest give enchant recipes but most of the enchant recipes are found in chest. I currently have a level 2 enchant that magnifies magical damage on all of my gear (it stacks) and I do much better damage. This enchant is a random chest drop from the bandit camps.
Now that I have Protecto down pat and buffed (Q), implemented with my thumb on my mouse it’s very easy to block thrown objects which projects back as Stupify and damage at the attacker, as I continue to pummel a nasty troll, although their health falls slower than most adversaries I’ve run into. I try to reserve my left hand on the Nostromo to movement. My pinky finger can select run (Shift) or Dodge/Swift (CONT) which I moved to what is normally the CAP key on the keyboard.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
IMG_3159.jpeg

Holy crap, the boss fight in Percevil Rackham’s Trial is a hand full. It takes place on a circular, fall to your death platform and there seems to be no saving halfway through that fight and the boss has a ton of health. Ancient magic one shots average opponents, but not this guy. I’m going to give this fight another try tomorrow… I need to pay more attention to the ancient magic orbs that drop, and you gather to accelerated how often you can use this against it. It’s ancient magic which does the most damage to it.

As you arrive there, two Pensieve Protectors and four Pensieve Sentinels will drop down that you must defeat. Again prioritize the Sentinels first for their ranged attacks and easier difficulty to remove from the battlefield faster.
With all those enemies down, a gigantic Pensieve Guardian will emerge from the floor. Your Duelling Feats here will be to hit it with Ancient Magic, and to destroy the orb that it will occasionally summon as it is charging up. In order to destroy the orb, you must hit it with a spell of the corresponding color.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Holy crap, the boss fight in Percevil Rackham’s Trial is a hand full. It takes place on a circular, fall to your death platform and there seems to be no saving halfway through that fight and the boss has a ton of health. Ancient magic one shots average opponents, but not this guy. I’m going to give this fight another try tomorrow… I need to pay more attention to the ancient magic orbs that drop, and you gather to accelerated how often you can use this against it. It’s ancient magic which does the most damage to it.

As you arrive there, two Pensieve Protectors and four Pensieve Sentinels will drop down that you must defeat. Again prioritize the Sentinels first for their ranged attacks and easier difficulty to remove from the battlefield faster.
With all those enemies down, a gigantic Pensieve Guardian will emerge from the floor. Your Duelling Feats here will be to hit it with Ancient Magic, and to destroy the orb that it will occasionally summon as it is charging up. In order to destroy the orb, you must hit it with a spell of the corresponding color.

You can change the game difficulty on the fly.

For this fight, I'm sure that I reduced the difficulty (it's tough enough playing this fight from the keyboard :) ).

Reactions: bousozoku and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You can change the game difficulty on the fly.

For this fight, I'm sure that I reduced the difficulty (it's tough enough playing this fight from the keyboard :) ).
The article says the orb projectile the boss creates can be destroyed if you use a spell with the same color. I need to load another save and verify my spell colors, if this is even worth doing. It seems like a I’ve got a decent track record of dodging the orb projectile attacks, but I do get chances to destroy this attack, and these things are devastating to your health when they hit you, so I’ll look into it. I’m good for a couple more tries on “normal”. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

It took me somewhere between 8-10 tries to prevail in this fight on normal difficulty. Not helping is that I moved some keys on my Nostrumo (left hand) which caused me to have to relearn my muscle memory during the fight. My pinky finger dodges and my thumb does blocks. This leaves my right hand to just select 1-4 for spells, and X (button 12 lower right- ancient magic) during the fight.
  • Constantly move until the Pensive Guardian (Boss) shows up, because with 6 opponents, attacks are coming from multiple directions. It's best to stay away from the edge of the platform. Fortunately in most cases if you dodge/swift towards the edge, mostly you'll stop on the edge with a animation of you regaining your balance, but sometimes you'll go over, or you can actually be knocked over which ends the fight.
  • Always ready with Q (Protecto) for orange attack icons.
  • Always ready with Caps (Dodge/Swift) for unblockable red attacks.
  • The 4 Sentinels are pretty easy with blocking their projectiles back at them and flinging the egg shaped items spaced around the platform.
  • The 2 Protectors, are not to hard either. A handy ancient magic attack finishes them off even at full health (I think).
  • The Big Boss Guardian. After the others are defeated, it boils up out of the floor. I've found it's best not to run, but to stand there defiantly wait for his attack while flinging attacks at it. It's the ancient magic attack that hurts it the most and that takes a while to build up a charge.
  • Be ready to dodge red attacks (unblockable).
  • When he spins up a power orb (several seconds), note the color and throw any matching color spell at it to destroy the orb. It's the color of your spell icons in your spell list. Yeah the orb is difficult to dodge, so best to destroy it and it can be destroyed enroute towards you. I found it tends to create 3 yellow orbs in a row, so it's good to have 3 yellow spells (control) handy or 2 purple, and not have to worry about cool down. Sometime it produces a purple spell (force) followed by a yellow (control) or vice a versa.
  • Near the end of this fight, he'll throw a red unblockable attack, and after dodging you may see a glowing object to his right that seems tp float in the air. This is a projectile so you have to be ready to dodge for the red attack, and if you see the glowing object, count 1,2 and throw up Protecto or dodge again. I think Protecto is better. This bounces back at him, with a stupefy, but does minimal damage, and most important, at least it's not hurting you.
  • Periodically your ancient magic will build up giving you X key for a super attack, which knocks down its health substantially. Besides the other attacks I was throwing, it took 4-5 Ancient magic attacks to kill it. :D:D 🥳

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It took me somewhere between 8-10 tries to prevail in this fight on normal difficulty. Not helping is that I moved some keys on my Nostrumo (left hand) which caused me to have to relearn my muscle memory during the fight. My pinky finger dodges and my thumb does blocks. This leaves my right hand to just select 1-4 for spells, and X (button 12 lower right- ancient magic) during the fight.
  • Constantly move until the Pensive Guardian (Boss) shows up, because with 6 opponents, attacks are coming from multiple directions. It's best to stay away from the edge of the platform. Fortunately in most cases if you dodge/swift towards the edge, mostly you'll stop on the edge with a animation of you regaining your balance, but sometimes you'll go over, or you can actually be knocked over which ends the fight.
  • Always ready with Q (Protecto) for orange attack icons.
  • Always ready with Caps (Dodge/Swift) for unblockable red attacks.
  • The 4 Sentinels are pretty easy with blocking their projectiles back at them and flinging the egg shaped items spaced around the platform.
  • The 2 Protectors, are not to hard either. A handy ancient magic attack finishes them off even at full health (I think).
  • The Big Boss Guardian. After the others are defeated, it boils up out of the floor. I've found it's best not to run, but to stand there defiantly wait for his attack while flinging attacks at it. It's the ancient magic attack that hurts it the most and that takes a while to build up a charge.
  • Be ready to dodge red attacks (unblockable).
  • When he spins up a power orb (several seconds), note the color and throw any matching color spell at it to destroy the orb. It's the color of your spell icons in your spell list. Yeah the orb is difficult to dodge, so best to destroy it and it can be destroyed enroute towards you. I found it tends to create 3 yellow orbs in a row, so it's good to have 3 yellow spells (control) handy or 2 purple, and not have to worry about cool down. Sometime it produces a purple spell (force) followed by a yellow (control) or vice a versa.
  • Near the end of this fight, he'll throw a red unblockable attack, and after dodging you may see a glowing object to his right that seems tp float in the air. This is a projectile so you have to be ready to dodge for the red attack, and if you see the glowing object, count 1,2 and throw up Protecto or dodge again. I think Protecto is better. This bounces back at him, with a stupefy, but does minimal damage, and most important, at least it's not hurting you.
  • Periodically your ancient magic will build up giving you X key for a super attack, which knocks down its health substantially. Besides the other attacks I was throwing, it took 4-5 Ancient magic attacks to kill it. :D:D 🥳

Did you finish with the game and how would you rate it ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Did you finish with the game and how would you rate it ?
Been, still traveling, have not yet finished it. So far, I’d say outstandng game design, Hogwarts is amazing, the best fluid, demanding magic combat that has a bit of a learning curve for me, and I’m good with the main quest. I realize there is a challenge here, there are students all over the place, but unless you’re in class, the classrooms are empty, so it does not feel like there is a school routine going on, but I understand. I’ve engaged with a couple of students, but I don’t feel like I’ve made real friends, well kind of, but your routine is not grounded in classes, you off doing mostly other stuff and I do realize the reason why. That would not be a game, but going to school! 😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.