Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas_13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
My Mac Pro 5,1 Early 2009 — With two 6-Core Intel Xeon Processor 3.33 GHz — Metal:Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1 — 32 GB RAM — My Apple wired aluminum keyboard works at startup after install of High Sierra, followed by Mojave. However, there are couple of keyboard combinations that currently not working. The keyboard itself is fine, option key works when I reset PRAM. But when holding down option key during startup to select different OS, or USB drive to boot from, it appears that holding down the option key has no effect, my Mac Pro just hangs and nothing happens. Whether starting from the shut-down condition, or restarting, I have to power down and few seconds later power up to get the computer started… Having said that, what would happen if I install OpenCore V. 0.3.1. utilities directly to the 1TB SSD and double click on the Big Sur icon in the application folder to begin installing.? Using Mr. Macintosh’s tutorial directions I did manage to make a Big Sur USB install drive, followed by trying any and all suggestions I could find on few Mac forums about nonfunctional option keys, to remedy the option key to no avail.

I would appreciate any help to solve the problem.!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.