Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/31/space.tourism.reut/index.html

Ok, I find this extremely optimistic - 9500 flights a year? Even in 10 years this seems a bit much to me. Sure the technology is there, sure there are plenty of people who'd take the pillar of fire to orbit, but if it was that easy why does NASA only fly about 10 times a year?

Oh, and how would they build the orbiting hotel, who would work there, and how much training before flight would each space tourist expect to go through.

But don't get me wrong - if this comes to pass that soon, I'll be signing up for a flight.

D

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
I believe it would be feasible to have space tourism, but 9500 a year does seem pretty optimistic. However if this was achieved space travel would be less of a dream to more people and more of a reality. I'm not sure if I would sign up, but if I won $15,000 somewhere, I would definately consider it.:)

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Right now I'm putting how far the International Space Station is along, and I'm thinking no we arn't going to see a space hotel any time soon. Good that they are making plans though......

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I could see a more limited version - just a ride into space at first. The idea of having 1,000,000 people a year in space in 10 years is silly. And the first time the rocket blows up with all the 100+ passengers, well, a drop in sales will kill the company. Look how long it took NASA to get back to launching after the Challenger blew up.

And with that many flights a year, the odds are that something would happen.....

The good thing is that plans are in the works. Tourism will make a huge difference in the exploration of space - the money people will be willing to spend would be huge. And when it does come to pass, I imagine the facilities the tourists will have will be much better than what ever NASA space station is up at the same time.

D

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Before you dismiss this, remember that space programs are run, and budgeted, by governments. This means that they do things at the speed of molasses, and ~80¢ of every dollar is wasted.

While I think the dates and numbers are far too optimistic, the market is certainly there. Affluent people routinely spend 50k-100k+ for a 1 week yacht charter. They would certainly be early adopters at a greatly increased price point. I've been on several $15,000 vacations, and would cough up double or triple that for a week in space. It would be a little different if I had a family though....

So, now that profiteering is involved, the pace will accelerate. Development will be done with a business model, as opposed to a Gov't mandate. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing 1000 rounds trips per year in 2022...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Nipsy
So, now that profiteering is involved, the pace will accelerate. Development will be done with a business model, as opposed to a Gov't mandate. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing 1000 rounds trips per year in 2022...

That's a little better, more realistic, but its still 3 flights a day, except holidays (;)). Where will they launch from, and how many launch vehicles will they require to get it up to that speed?

The reusable rocket is nice, but its not going to be the cheap path to getting the masses to orbit. Once scram jets are perfected (or something simillar) and we can take a airplane approach to get to space, effectively single stage to orbit vehicle, that's when its going to happen.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.