Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Arrgh! I was about to have lunch and was in the process of putting away my MBP (don't want any crumbs) and I accidentally knocked over my water! A good sized puddle ran under the MBP and the machine shut down. I immediately picked it up and wiped it off, even feeding a napkin between the screen and case. As I did so, the machine randomly powered up! It seemed fine, but I shut down again and removed the battery. The Battery well was completely dry, to my dissatisfaction. Now Im completely freaked out, because, had the battery gotten wet, I could blame the shutdown on a loss of power. The only other possibility is if water got in the case and shorted something out!!!!! :eek: :mad:

The only saving grace I can think of is the overheat problem may have helped burn off any water that got inside. To be safe I took the battery out and let is sit on its side (to let anything drain out the exhaust vent) for a few hours in the heat. It appears to be working alright now (battery still out... running on A/C) but I'm seriously scared.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
If it's working okay now, I would assume no damage has been done. Leave the battery out for a few days.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Haha... maybe your MBP didn't get any water in it. It just has the random shutdown problem :]

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
suneohair said:
Oh....... My...... God!!!!!
Newbie trying for higher post count.

To the OP Kingsly, I suggest leaving the battery out and perhaps try to leave the machine off for a day or so. Let the water really dry if any of it got in there.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
jessica. said:

To the OP Kingsly, I suggest leaving the battery out and perhaps try to leave the machine off for a day or so. Let the water really dry if any of it got in there.

You must be going for a higher post count as well, considering someone already made this suggestion... :rolleyes:

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
jessica. said:

I couldn't decide weather it should be left off (to evaporate) or to be left on (to cook off the water). its on now, and seems okay... :eek:

Battery still out though, even thought it didn't get wet.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
suneohair said:
You must be going for a higher post count as well, considering someone already made this suggestion... :rolleyes:
if you look closely their suggestions were within 2 minutes of each other so it was most likely suggested while they were typing.

I'm guessing that the laptop is fine because PC magazine did tests with several PC laptops where they dropped a little water on it and all they needed to do was let the laptops dry out and they were fine. I would keep a close eye on the laptop for a week or two to see if it developes any problems that weren't there before the spill just to be safe though.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
iBookG4user said:
if you look closely their suggestions were within 2 minutes of each other so it was most likely suggested while they were typing.

I'm guessing that the laptop is fine because PC magazine did tests with several PC laptops where they dropped a little water on it and all they needed to do was let the laptops dry out and they were fine. I would keep a close eye on the laptop for a week or two to see if it developes any problems that weren't there before the spill just to be safe though.
i am wondering... If in a week or so the computer starts having all kinds of kernel panics and problems, will AppleCare be able to tell that water was to blame and deny a repair?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Kingsly said:
i am wondering... If in a week or so the computer starts having all kinds of kernel panics and problems, will AppleCare be able to tell that water was to blame and deny a repair?

Most likely, yes. Water will leave evidence behind when it dries on a PCB.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Kingsly said:
Noooooooooooooooo!

Even filtered water?

I was planning to send in my MBP from whine issues... possible they could blame it on this (its been whiny from the beginning... I *think* they may have that on file somewhere)

These Apple technicians don't seem very bright... replacing hard drives to fix random shutdowns.

I don't think they'll analyze your computer for water stains...

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
vv-tim said:
These Apple technicians don't seem very bright... replacing hard drives to fix random shutdowns.

I don't think they'll analyze your computer for water stains...
Is it possible they replaced my HDD for overheat? (they replaced it last time I sent it in for that problem. Not surprisingly, it didn't help.)

I sure hope your right, I'd be devistated if they canceled my warranty before fixing their problem!

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Kingsly said:
I couldn't decide weather it should be left off (to evaporate) or to be left on (to cook off the water). its on now, and seems okay... :eek:

Battery still out though, even thought it didn't get wet.

you can't "cook off" the water.. water in the computer is in the computer despite how you cook it off, the only way to get it out fast is not by heating excessively, but to induce additional air flow... maybe blowing a fan at the air vent(s)...

however, if the water didn't kill ur computer... it might help cooling it off a bit:p

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Kingsly said:
Noooooooooooooooo!

Even filtered water?

haha, unless it's completely deionized, sterilized, filtered water, it will leave residue behind... even if it's that, if the environment is not 100% dust free, it will attract dust and leave residue... :D

just depend on how close you look

F

freakonguitar

heh...i remember when i spilled liquids in my keyboard on another computer and it shut down and then fired up after :p. I don't think water would wreck it, you shouldn't run it when water is still in it cause things could short out,, but once the water is gone or dried up its not a problem. Now juice on the other hand woulld kill it! like mine :S

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sorry to hear about your little water accident with your MacBook Pro Kingsly. :( Hopefully everything is okay with your laptop. :)

I could not imagine the terror that would go through my mind if this sort of thing happened to my MacBook Pro. :eek:

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
bearbo said:
haha, unless it's completely deionized, sterilized, filtered water, it will leave residue behind... even if it's that, if the environment is not 100% dust free, it will attract dust and leave residue... :D

just depend on how close you look

A scaled up verison to show the impurity thingy, is salt water. When that evaporates it will obviously leave the white crusty sodium chloride behind (along with other stuff) so it's kinda the same, but not as worse. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.