Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Are there any guides on how to configure smart thermostats such as Ecobee with the Apple Home app? I want to stop using the Ecobee's app, but the Home app is very unintuitive to configure thermostat. I want to configure schedules, have a quick option to enable away function, or enable fan, but no AC, and to control the humidifier. I don't want to use any geofencing functionality or auto heat/ac options. Am I asking too much? Is that functionality possible within the Home app?

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I’d set the schedules in the ecobee app. Those are things you do not change on any regular basis. In fact ecobee is nice because if you spend the time to set it right including the remote sensors and such, the only thing you’ll ever do is turn it on or off maybe depending on if you decide to say open windows instead of use the ac, or you just want ac not heat or ac during a season etc. and generally you can just tell Siri to turn on the ac or heat and if you want to override the scheduled tempt just tell it what temp you want.

There is no way to turn on just the fan directly. You might be able to build a Siri shortcut for that. I don’t believe HomeKit has the support to turn on just the fan on a HVAC.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I’d set the schedules in the ecobee app. Those are things you do not change on any regular basis. In fact ecobee is nice because if you spend the time to set it right including the remote sensors and such, the only thing you’ll ever do is turn it on or off maybe depending on if you decide to say open windows instead of use the ac, or you just want ac not heat or ac during a season etc. and generally you can just tell Siri to turn on the ac or heat and if you want to override the scheduled tempt just tell it what temp you want.

There is no way to turn on just the fan directly. You might be able to build a Siri shortcut for that. I don’t believe HomeKit has the support to turn on just the fan on a HVAC.

I appreciate the response! You are right, we mostly turn the AC or Heat on or off, or set away when leaving the house or turn on away before coming back home. I will need to play with this. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.