Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
I have updated my 14 ProMax to the ios17 PB1 and it broke HomeKit remote access. All my hubs are on iOS 16. My iPad Pro was on 16.5 and still had remote access. As soon as I updated to 17 PB1 it broke there too. I was able to briefly get it to work on iPhone by rapidly cycling the toggle under apps using iCloud (Home App). But that lasted less than a day. Anyone else experiencing this?

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
You likely need to have at least one hub on the latest beta and running the new Home architecture. iPads cannot be hubs anymore. Only ATV4K and HomePods.

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
You likely need to have at least one hub on the latest beta and running the new Home architecture. iPads cannot be hubs anymore. Only ATV4K and HomePods.
I was hoping this wasn’t the case. I’m surprised I haven’t seen more complaints about this. Thanks!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
You do not need to have your hubs on the betas. I have run HomeKit just fine with my mobile devices on the betas and my AppleTV and HomePod on the release version of their respective OSes.

But you may need to have your HomeKit on the new architecture (which is available in iOS 16). If you have not done so, there should be a prompt somewhere in the Home app to update to the new architecture.

If that doesn't do the trick, there's a bug somewhere and I would report it.

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
You do not need to have your hubs on the betas. I have run HomeKit just fine with my mobile devices on the betas and my AppleTV and HomePod on the release version of their respective OSes.

But you may need to have your HomeKit on the new architecture (which is available in iOS 16). If you have not done so, there should be a prompt somewhere in the Home app to update to the new architecture.

If that doesn't do the trick, there's a bug somewhere and I would report it.
Unfortunately I updated to the new architecture the first time before they pulled it. Definitely seems to be a bug (I reported it right away). Hoping it gets fixed in PB2

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Hubs absolutely dont need to be on beta. I had iPhone on ios17 and ATV on ios16.5 and it worked great.
I will add though I finally updated all the ATV and HP's to iOS 17 as well and its still working great...very stable and out of 100+ devices not a single "not connected"

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Unfortunately I updated to the new architecture the first time before they pulled it. Definitely seems to be a bug (I reported it right away). Hoping it gets fixed in PB2

Then you are updated...it doesnt matter when you did it. Are your "hubs" appletv? why aren't they on latest iOS (16.6)?

Id start there

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
Then you are updated...it doesnt matter when you did it. Are your "hubs" appletv? why aren't they on latest iOS (16.6)?

Id start there
I misspoke , I am on 16.6. Two hubs are Apple TVs and one is an OG HomePod. Still not working. Thinking of switching to the dev beta to see if there is a difference.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I misspoke , I am on 16.6. Two hubs are Apple TVs and one is an OG HomePod. Still not working. Thinking of switching to the dev beta to see if there is a difference.

Interesting that you say you are have the 0G HomePod in the mix. I am having issues with my security devices (locks, motion sensors) not creating a log of events that I can display (as we are supposed to be able to do). I’ve wondered whether the 0G HomePod is the culprit.

I may have to unplug that and see if things change when it’s my 4K AppleTV running the show instead.

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
Interesting that you say you are have the 0G HomePod in the mix. I am having issues with my security devices (locks, motion sensors) not creating a log of events that I can display (as we are supposed to be able to do). I’ve wondered whether the 0G HomePod is the culprit.

I may have to unplug that and see if things change when it’s my 4K AppleTV running the show instead.
Interesting. Is the HomePod the active hub?

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
I have updated my 14 ProMax to the ios17 PB1 and it broke HomeKit remote access. All my hubs are on iOS 16. My iPad Pro was on 16.5 and still had remote access. As soon as I updated to 17 PB1 it broke there too. I was able to briefly get it to work on iPhone by rapidly cycling the toggle under apps using iCloud (Home App). But that lasted less than a day. Anyone else experiencing this?
So this gets even more strange. I was away from home last night, nothing had changed but I could suddenly access all Of my home devices. I assumed Apple did something behind the scenes. When I tried it again today away from home nothing works 🤦‍♂️

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Apple did nothing last night "behind the scenes" that changed your situation. You have network issues you need to get a handle of

the issue 100% isnt HOMEKIT...the issue is in your network. It sounds like your Hub and devices are on separate networks or subnets or your hub is not stable...this is exactly what happens when the Hub and device are not communicating. Id start with your network...the issue should be easy to resolve

Neither iOS 16.6 or 17 "broke" your remote access...personally based on your lack of basic HK knowledge you really need to stay off the beta. Assuming a beta release will fix your problems is foolish and will only make matters worse.

if you aren't starting with Your Home: Home settings/Home Hubs and Bridges- and understanding how the Hub works you're wasting your time. The first step in this situation is the get a handle on which device is your Hub and if its connected or not. You need to monitor the Home Hubs and Bridges page constantly and your issue will be obvious...my guess is that its dropping on/off

Last edited:

BigE-CT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2023
Apple did nothing last night "behind the scenes" that changed your situation. You have network issues you need to get a handle of

the issue 100% isnt HOMEKIT...the issue is in your network. It sounds like your Hub and devices are on separate networks or subnets or your hub is not stable...this is exactly what happens when the Hub and device are not communicating. Id start with your network...the issue should be easy to resolve

Neither iOS 16.6 or 17 "broke" your remote access...personally based on your lack of basic HK knowledge you really need to stay off the beta. Assuming a beta release will fix your problems is foolish and will only make matters worse.

if you aren't starting with Your Home: Home settings/Home Hubs and Bridges- and understanding how the Hub works you're wasting your time. The first step in this situation is the get a handle on which device is your Hub and if its connected or not. You need to monitor the Home Hubs and Bridges page constantly and your issue will be obvious...my guess is that its dropping on/off
You sure make a lot of assumptions. I have been using HomeKit since day one, been running HomeBridge and dozens of smart
home devices for many years. I never said I was hoping that a Beta would fix an issue, simply that a beta created an issue and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. I’m not going to post every single troubleshooting step that I take on here because I simply do not have time. There was obviously some sort of iCloud issue because since PB2 came out the issues have disappeared on both of my devices running the betas. And believe it or not, Apple actually DOES look at feedback from the feedback app and make adjustments.
Just sayin…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.