Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMaldaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Kentucky
I’m just beginning to dabble with the Home app. I have a HomePod Mini as my hub and an AppleTV. I added two programmable switches recently to control lamps in our bedroom and living room. It all works great for me in my Home App. Can I share the settings and accessories with my wife in her Home app on her iPhone? I took her phone and tried to add one of the switches by scanning it, but I got a message saying that switch was already added to Home. Well, that is true, but it is not showing up on my wife’s phone. Any advice how both of us can see all the accessories on our phones?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
As mentioned above you just have to invite her in. After that, any device you add (or she adds if you give her permissions), will automatically show up in the Home app on all your devices.

Reactions: JohnMaldaner

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Hi all, I also tried to invite my wife, but now the invitation message claims, that I first have to update my Home app. I think this is not possible since we both also have gear that can't be updated to iOS 16 as secondary devices. For the main devices we are on current OS versions. Is there a solution to get my wife to be able to control my smart things?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi all, I also tried to invite my wife, but now the invitation message claims, that I first have to update my Home app. I think this is not possible since we both also have gear that can't be updated to iOS 16 as secondary devices. For the main devices we are on current OS versions. Is there a solution to get my wife to be able to control my smart things?
Can you post a pic of the error message you’re getting?

Also when you say “smart things” you mean your HomeKit devices and not the Samsung smart home platform, right?

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Can you post a pic of the error message you’re getting?

Also when you say “smart things” you mean your HomeKit devices and not the Samsung smart home platform, right?
See attachment, but it is in German. And yes, all HomeKit.

Attachments

• IMG_FAEA1FD7EFD9-1.jpeg
    IMG_FAEA1FD7EFD9-1.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 41

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Not that I know of. I think it says that I first have to upgrade to the new architecture first.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
But i thought it will cause problems that we have iPad mini 4 and iPhone SE 1 which cannot be upgraded?

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Ok, then I can't upgrade since my Apple Watch is dependent on the iPhone SE on iOS 15. And I use the Watch for HomeKit. What I don't understand: Inviting someone was possible already under the old architecture, right? Why am I now forced to upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.