Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Just setup 4 Eufy Indoor 2K cams in the house. All are configured for HomeKit and are working (more or less).

2 of them are set, under Recording Options, to OFF when Home, and Stream and Record when Away.

When I am home, the two cams show as OFF in the Home app on my iPhone. The problem is that when I am away, both cams still show OFF. They don't turn on.

My first question is where/how do I define what is "home"? I did find under Location the setting to use my iPhone to determine location, but I don't see how to define where "At Home" actually is. I know my iPhone knows where I live as it constantly gives me directions to go home, but not sure if that is the same thing.

Any ideas how/where to define "At home" location?

EDIT: I did find that under Settings/Privacy/Location Services/Share My Location, that the toggle for "Share my Location" was disabled. I enabled it. Would that keep HomeKit from knowing I left home? How does my iPhone know where "Home" is?

EDIT2: My HomeKit hub is one of my Apple TV 4K's.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I had a lot of similar issues with my Arlo cameras during the betas... it sorted itself out with the GM, but with 14.0.1, it's back... it seems to be a location issue - geolocation seems to be at the core of it.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I had a lot of similar issues with my Arlo cameras during the betas... it sorted itself out with the GM, but with 14.0.1, it's back... it seems to be a location issue - geolocation seems to be at the core of it.
Thanks for the info. I wonder why more people aren't complaining about it then?

Also, while I was away, there were some people motion events from the cams that are always on (front door), but I did not receive the notifications until I arrived home! I knew my wife had left to run errands while I was away. When I got home, I received a notification that a person was detected at the front door (it wasn't me as I come thru the garage). The clip showed my wife leaving. But...she was already gone. Seems the notification was delayed until I arrived home, why would that be?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks for the info. I wonder why more people aren't complaining about it then?

Also, while I was away, there were some people motion events from the cams that are always on (front door), but I did not receive the notifications until I arrived home! I knew my wife had left to run errands while I was away. When I got home, I received a notification that a person was detected at the front door (it wasn't me as I come thru the garage). The clip showed my wife leaving. But...she was already gone. Seems the notification was delayed until I arrived home, why would that be?

I am pretty sure that it's all related to the geolocation thing. Sometimes logging in to the app will trigger it to recognize/adjust/correct the home/away thing, but not always. It is annoying.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I am pretty sure that it's all related to the geolocation thing. Sometimes logging in to the app will trigger it to recognize/adjust/correct the home/away thing, but not always. It is annoying.
I guess it's just bad timing for me then as I just bought all these cameras to use with HomeKit (I had been using Amazon Cloud Cams that worked great but I wanted better Apple integration), at the same time Apple came out with new iOS 14 that is, of course, buggy. So much for "it just works". :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.