Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
When compared to the volume buttons, the home button doesn't click as much and feels hard to press.. I only noticed it recently which means this was not there before. A quick search online and seems like its a common thing, some claim to have fixed it with cleaning it with water ..I am not too keen to try playing with water on my iPhone, hence before I try anything absurd to make it work , in my particular case I think it might be caused by the dbrand skin I have on the steel frame of my iPhone.. while taking the case on and off on a daily basis I have somehow 'ruined' the skin and I can see that where the home button is the skin is touching it, I wouldn't say it's pressing against it but touching it .. I'll attach an image, could this be the culprit? I mean I find it hard to believe that the skin itself is strong enough to cause the home button to not click, but im trying to eliminate all possible causes before I accept that my device is also one of those affected by this thing of mushy buttons, that seems to be a manufacturing defect and I'd rather avoid cleaning it with water.
IMG_4701.jpg

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
*Lock button

Most likely from damage caused from excessive case removal as you mentioned or it was present from unboxing and you just noticed now. And the skin on that phone also could be doing it. Try removing that to start.

Especially if you had a stiff/hard shell case on, taking those on and off can really jostle the button quite a bit laterally. My guess is that is what caused it.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Check with Apple. That doesn’t sound right. We have had dozens of iPhones with our family that have been handed down with plenty of use, many different types of cases, etc. and no one has ever mentioned a mushy feeling button.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You mean the side button, it does not have a phsyical home button as that button doesn't take you home. ?

Not sure if that's a sticker or a case but if it's those wraps, I wonder if some debris got lodged inside?

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I
*Lock button

Most likely from damage caused from excessive case removal as you mentioned or it was present from unboxing and you just noticed now. And the skin on that phone also could be doing it. Try removing that to start.

Especially if you had a stiff/hard shell case on, taking those on and off can really jostle the button quite a bit laterally. My guess is that is what caused it.
Thank you for your reply, however I doubt it’s the case ..im using the apple silicone case and I’ve been using other cases on my previous iPhones with no issues, I would be surprised if the case could damage a button, surely apple has designed their cases with this in mind (although I have added the skin, if anything it should create more space between the iPhone and the case and lift the case pressure from the button, hence cause less damage if you know what I mean)

also thanks for the correction!

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
The skin is obviously not lined up properly at all. I'd remove the skin and see if it goes away. Apple will make you remove that skin before they'd even consider looking at the phone for that issue..
Yes this is what I thought; it might be the skin.. Removing it would mean I can’t reapply it so before I remove it I’ll have to get another one, planning on leaving it as it is and wait for the new skin to be delivered .. apple stores are not open anyway in Uk

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Check with Apple. That doesn’t sound right. We have had dozens of iPhones with our family that have been handed down with plenty of use, many different types of cases, etc. and no one has ever mentioned a mushy feeling button.
Yep, however this is a common thing with iPhone 12s this year with some complaining about their volume buttons doing this and others the lock button like in my case.. I’m just trying to rule out any possible reasons before i try something

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
You mean the side button, it does not have a phsyical home button as that button doesn't take you home. ?

Not sure if that's a sticker or a case but if it's those wraps, I wonder if some debris got lodged inside?
These are skins, they are essentially stickers that wrap around the iPhone .. I don’t know about debris/dirt but I doubt it as I normally keep it inside a case, it is a possibility but the chances of it being the reason I think are not much.. my guess is that skin is pressing against the button, but I find it hard to believe that this is enough to prevent the button from clicking properly

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Remove the skin. It is preventing the button from properly depressing. I can see that in the picture.
This is what I thought, do you really think the skin is strong enough to cause the button to not depress properly? Hence why it doesn’t click, I mean it’s a bit weird that a skin that is barely touching the button causing this .. but I’d like to think it’s the skin too..

I will remove it as soon as the new one arrives, so a couple of weeks .. do you think leaving the skin as it is for a few weeks would damage the button?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is what I thought, do you really think the skin is strong enough to cause the button to not depress properly? Hence why it doesn’t click, I mean it’s a bit weird that a skin that is barely touching the button causing this .. but I’d like to think it’s the skin too..

I will remove it as soon as the new one arrives, so a couple of weeks .. do you think leaving the skin as it is for a few weeks would damage the button?
If that were my phone, the skin would be off already. Caring more about looks than proper operation of the device is a very skewed thought process, in my opinion.

Reactions: Valbunny and DaPhox

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
If that were my phone, the skin would be off already. Caring more about looks than proper operation of the device is a very skewed thought process, in my opinion.
I’m keeping the skin to avoid scratches, I have already scratched it a fair bit and I know how easy it is, hence why I don’t want to risk scratching it up further.. exactly why I asked if keeping the skin for a few weeks touching the button as in the pic attached could cause damage to the button , in your opinion..

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I’m keeping the skin to avoid scratches, I have already scratched it a fair bit and I know how easy it is, hence why I don’t want to risk scratching it up further.. exactly why I asked if keeping the skin for a few weeks touching the button as in the pic attached could cause damage to the button , in your opinion..
If you use the power button a lot, or remove the phone from the case a lot, it could be a problem.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I

Thank you for your reply, however I doubt it’s the case ..im using the apple silicone case and I’ve been using other cases on my previous iPhones with no issues, I would be surprised if the case could damage a button, surely apple has designed their cases with this in mind (although I have added the skin, if anything it should create more space between the iPhone and the case and lift the case pressure from the button, hence cause less damage if you know what I mean)

also thanks for the correction!
Even the Apple cases exert a good bit of lateral force on the side buttons, they are quite snug. Put your case on slowly next time and watch what happens to the button.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Even the Apple cases exert a good bit of lateral force on the side buttons, they are quite snug. Put your case on slowly next time and watch what happens to the button.
so you're saying removing the case daily can basically break the side button?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
If the skin is positioned such that it overlaps the button, even in the slightest, that could cause the effect you are having. Removing the side skin is the only way to know. If you remove the side skin and the button still exhibits the issue, my suggestion is contact Apple and get a replacement.

Did dbrand send an extra side skin? Extremeskins does just in case there is an issue installing the skin and you have a backup skin.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
If the skin is positioned such that it overlaps the button, even in the slightest, that could cause the effect you are having. Removing the side skin is the only way to know. If you remove the side skin and the button still exhibits the issue, my suggestion is contact Apple and get a replacement.

Did dbrand send an extra side skin? Extremeskins does just in case there is an issue installing the skin and you have a backup skin.
dbrand only sent one skin for the frame/sides, hence why I'd rather wait for the new one to come before taking it off (2 weeks).. the skin is only touching the button , I wouldn't say its overlapping the button ..do you reckon leaving the skin pressing against the button for 2 more weeks be a problem?

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
I recently noticed I have similar issue on my iPhone 12 Pro Max when I removed my case. Home buton seems to be too recessed (more than volume buttons on the other side are) and is very very inconvenient to press, there is almost no tactile feedback when I press it.

When phone is in case there’s no issue at all since case has its own buttons (I use Apple leather case). I have this phone since November 2020, but not sure if it was like this from start or not, i always used case on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.