Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unitethenations

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have accessibility shortcut menu keyed to triple clicking the home button. How is that transferred over to non-touchid phones? Tapping the back? Triple tapping the screen? How have people worked around this?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Btw, I recently went from an SE1 that I used since 2017, to a 13 Mini and I miss the home button, especially Touch ID.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Not even one that is under the screen (so the front is still 1 solid piece)?
Rumors indicate it's probably 2 years away,it ever. I was skeptical of not having a home button,but now I'd never buy a phone without it. And the face ID works flawlessly. Plus I have an Apple watch so there's a secondary unlock if I ever wear a mask again or lighting is bad or something.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Not even one that is under the screen (so the front is still 1 solid piece)?
You will see it on SE series phones but doubtful on any other models.. I have good experience with the S22 Ultra's under screen ultrasonic fingerprint sensor and it's nothing I'd like to see on an iPhone.. If Apple does decide to add it to FaceID and not replace FaceID with it, I'd rather see it on the power/sleep/wake button..

MacPeasant123

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
I got to say that I really like TouchID. I just bought a Vivo X70 phone for my mom and it has both Face ID and TouchID under the display screen. Its TouchID works just as well as it does on my 2nd gen iPhone SE. It also has an option in which a user must pass both Face ID and TouchID to unlock the phone. I'm wondering if a Chinese Android phone maker can do this, why can't super wealthy Apple. It makes me think it's all intentional in a sense.

When Apple removed a bunch of ports from the 2016 MacBook Pros, people were not happy. Then later it brought them back in the more recent ones, making many of its customers happy again. Perhaps this is all part of Apple's plan: it knows it can get away with removing things consumers like, and then a few years later it'll bring them back, which is "an upgrade" over the models that were missing the features that it took away.

So perhaps this is what's going on with not having TouchID on its non-SE phones. It knows a segment of its consumers want TouchID, so it'll play this game and may bring it back in a few years and tout it as a great feature... got to keep us buying somehow

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I got to say that I really like TouchID. I just bought a Vivo X70 phone for my mom and it has both Face ID and TouchID under the display screen. Its TouchID works just as well as it does on my 2nd gen iPhone SE. It also has an option in which a user must pass both Face ID and TouchID to unlock the phone. I'm wondering if a Chinese Android phone maker can do this, why can't super wealthy Apple. It makes me think it's all intentional in a sense.

When Apple removed a bunch of ports from the 2016 MacBook Pros, people were not happy. Then later it brought them back in the more recent ones, making many of its customers happy again. Perhaps this is all part of Apple's plan: it knows it can get away with removing things consumers like, and then a few years later it'll bring them back, which is "an upgrade" over the models that were missing the features that it took away.

So perhaps this is what's going on with not having TouchID on its non-SE phones. It knows a segment of its consumers want TouchID, so it'll play this game and may bring it back in a few years and tout it as a great feature... got to keep us buying somehow
It's interesting in how creative people can get with conspiracy theories. I imagine the truth is something rather too boring to be taken at face value.

Apple has a roadmap for its devices. Specific to the iPhone, the ultimate goal is a device that has no ports and no buttons. Apple takes things away because the goal is not an iPhone with buttons or ports.

As to underscreen display, you are touting a Chinese manufacturer. How can they do this and Apple can't. It's very simple. Apple could - but can they do it consistently and securely in an Apple way? Apple waits to do things until they've perfected it. People still haven't gotten this. And yet when Apple blows the doors off the competitors with an implementation of a feature done in a way no one else can do it - there is silence from that same group of people while all the other manufacturers are scrambling to 'copy' Apple.

Apple also doesn't follow the crowd. They introduced FaceID because underscreen TouchID wasn't the direction they wanted to go in. Yet that means they are incapable of doing it? It strikes me as being more Apple to unlock a device just by glancing at it without actually having to touch a finger to it.

Apple has its faults, but intentionally dicking with the customer to make a buck isn't one of them. FORCING them to hand over their money if they want a feature though, yeah.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
Home button/Touch ID is my #1 reason for not upgrading (I currently have an SE2022). Colleagues with 'fancier' phones complain about the lack of Touch ID ('I want the button back'), especially when paying for things; also control centre. I would pay extra to keep the TouchID on a future phone. And I don't need or want the pixels to go to the very bottom of the screen.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Home button/Touch ID is my #1 reason for not upgrading (I currently have an SE2022). Colleagues with 'fancier' phones complain about the lack of Touch ID ('I want the button back'), especially when paying for things; also control centre. I would pay extra to keep the TouchID on a future phone. And I don't need or want the pixels to go to the very bottom of the screen.
To each their own I guess. I find TouchID to be good, but would rather have the full screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.