Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
So i've run into this weird issue where the home button on my iphone 7 just stopped working. It started off as just intermittently not registering the press but would always come back after a few "presses" on the screen but for the last two days it has fully stopped recognizing that i'm trying to press it. I'm aware that there's no physical "button" and its just the ring detection with force touch that triggers the response but it kind of severely hindrances the use of the phone. (I've thankfully managed to turn on accessibility before the button fully stopped working so i can at least simulate it's press, however this is definitely not ideal) I couldn't really find much of anyone getting this exact issue as people say a software home button would appear when the hardware one fails but this hasn't happend to me i think? I've tried a hard reset and reseting network settings (read somewhere that it might help) which did nothing apart from after the restart i got a message that "touch id activation failed" or message similar to that. While i can deal with most things the lock screen is the real pain point as you need to press the home button for the phone to prompt for the passcode which is a lot more cumbersome now. So if anyone has any ideas or dealt with something similar would appreciate the input. (I'm on the iOS 14 Beta just an FYI)

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Well I'll try to update to the latest beta when i get the chance on wifi, but it doesn't seem like it would make hardware fail? The only thing is now i've started working in an environment with a lot more dust/etc so would think that might be the only cause but kind of defeats the purpose of switching to a solid state button so that it doesn't fail from things like that only to fail from something like that

Update did nothing to bring back the button so i'm gonna assume its a hardware failure of the capacitive ring :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.