Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I'll try to keep this simple, but want to provide sufficient info.

PROBLEM: My Desktop folder is locked, can read from it but otherwise no access -- Yes, the correct permissions are selected within the info window, however, apparently, the OS is disregarding those.

Additionally, seemingly in the same period, AirDrop stopped working. I assume these are related.

HISTORY: This was a problem in macOS Sierra as well. I wasn't able to fix it then either.

WHAT I"VE TRIED:
Disk Utility, Password Reset utility, Cocktail, and Onyx -- None appear to contain permission repair or reset options any longer. (WHY!?!)

QUESTIONS:
• Have I simply overlooked a permission repair/reset/modify command in the aforementioned apps?
-- Are there other apps with that function?
• If I perform a reformat and install, a.k.a. 'clean' install, will the corrupt home folder just be restored?
• Should I try to replace my Desktop folder with one from a freshly created account? Or is that futile?

I'm desperate and beyond furiously frustrated. Please!.. Any sensible suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'll try to keep this simple, but want to provide sufficient info.

PROBLEM: My Desktop folder is locked, can read from it but otherwise no access -- Yes, the correct permissions are selected within the info window, however, apparently, the OS is disregarding those.

Additionally, seemingly in the same period, AirDrop stopped working. I assume these are related.

HISTORY: This was a problem in macOS Sierra as well. I wasn't able to fix it then either.

WHAT I"VE TRIED:
Disk Utility, Password Reset utility, Cocktail, and Onyx -- None appear to contain permission repair or reset options any longer. (WHY!?!)

QUESTIONS:
• Have I simply overlooked a permission repair/reset/modify command in the aforementioned apps?
-- Are there other apps with that function?
• If I perform a reformat and install, a.k.a. 'clean' install, will the corrupt home folder just be restored?
• Should I try to replace my Desktop folder with one from a freshly created account? Or is that futile?

I'm desperate and beyond furiously frustrated. Please!.. Any sensible suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You need to follow the steps here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538
None of the tools you tried are designed to resolve your problem.

Reactions: MacCheetah3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.