Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
I am using Home with our AppleTV being the home hub. I am the owner and my wife is a resident.

We have a smart plug that our Christmas tree is plugged into. I renamed the specific device several days ago, and noticed today that my wife’s home app was not showing the same updates that mine were to certain devices.

I decided to just remove her from the home and resend the invite. Upon accepting the invite, it shows on my end that she has accepted but on her end it just sits there saying “joining” until the point it then puts up a dialog saying that she cannot join the home.

I’ve researched it quite a bit, but out of ideas. I went through several troubleshooting posts that were related to the whole iOS 16.2 debacle. Everything from signing her out of iCloud, resetting devices and hubs, downloading the Apple profile to reset the HomeKit data. Nothing has worked. I’m trying to find any workaround without having to delete mine as well and setup an entire new home.

Anyone have any ideas? We are both running the most current iOS update.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
I also can’t figure out how to get new people to be able to accept invites.
I recently setup HomeKit in my new home. Logitech doorbell and Circle camera, with several Leviton 2nd Gen HK light dimmers. Once I set it all up on my iPhone 14PM I sent my wife an invite - which she couldn’t accept. At the time our iPhones were on 17.1. I tried the latest beta on my phone but she still couldn’t accept an invite. A day or two later Apple released 17.2 so I updated both phones. Sent her another invite and voila - she could accept it.

Also, while I was researching the above problem, I came across not being able to accept invitations to HK because of the invite being addressed to the invitee with an email address rather than a phone number. Also read the below in another thread:
“If you don't get a homekit invitation, check that iMessages (Settings > Messages > Send & Receive) can be reached by your phone number and your iCloud e-mail address. I've seen it a few times that an invitation was sent to the users e-mail address but in iMessages only the phone number was checked.”
Don’t know if this will help any in your situation.

Last edited:

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Did you also potentially change your Apple ID email address recently? I ran into this situation after doing that and the only remedy was to completely nuke HomeKit and start again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.