Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fwmireault

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Hi there,

I am looking to upgrade my smart lock this summer, but I only want to upgrade to a Home Key compatible smart lock. The feature was announced more than a year ago, yet I didn't see that much since then. To my knowledge, the Schlage Encode Plus is the only one that supports Home Key at this moment. It would be an instant buy from me if it was in stock, but it looks backordered everywhere I look (if you find a retailer where I can purchase it at this moment, please share).

So my goal with this thread was to list all released or announced smart locks that support or will support Home Key. If you know anything about other companies planning to release a product with it, please share it here.

Thank you!

Avaible to purchase Home Key compatible locks:
  • Schlage Encode Plus
  • Aqara A100
  • Aqara D100
  • Aqara U100
  • Level Lock+
Announced Home Key compatible locks:

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I believe there are only three in total up to this point.

The other two are by Aqara:
- A100 ZigBee (This was the first ever lock to get Home Key functionality)

- D100

Haven’t seen anything else announced but I’m waiting (hoping) for August and Yale to release theirs.

• Wow
Reactions: fwmireault

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I believe there are only three in total up to this point.

The other two are by Aqara:
- A100 ZigBee (This was the first ever lock to get Home Key functionality)

- D100

Haven’t seen anything else announced but I’m waiting (hoping) for August and Yale to release theirs.

There was a slide during the keynote with all of the manufactures who are participating. I’ll try to find later. But I did see Level (my preferred brand) on there. No timeline though.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
There was a slide during the keynote with all of the manufactures who are participating. I’ll try to find later. But I did see Level (my preferred brand) on there. No timeline though.
Yep, I know the slide you are talking about but I wouldn’t quite call that an announcement for a product just yet. I’d call it a glimmer of hope lol.

Would be nice if all those manufactures got their heads out of their a$$es quicker and see how fast Schlage sold out of their Home Key lock. It’s been a year since Apple announced it.

I suspect that the chip shortage affected NFC pretty good. Even BMW deleted the Car Key feature from a lot of their new builds.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok so I went ahead and scrubbed through WWDC 2021 and found the slide. For some reason, I was unable to pause and screen shot it so I took a pic from my iPad. Yale/August parent company is ASSA AMBLOY so that’s good to go on my end.

Here it is…

971AB9CC-04E8-4172-873D-E3D2581B8A78.jpeg

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yep, I know the slide you are talking about but I wouldn’t quite call that an announcement for a product just yet. I’d call it a glimmer of hope lol.

Would be nice if all those manufactures got their heads out of their a$$es quicker and see how fast Schlage sold out of their Home Key lock. It’s been a year since Apple announced it.

I suspect that the chip shortage affected NFC pretty good. Even BMW deleted the Car Key feature from a lot of their new builds.

Thanks for finding the slide! I’d say that that having their names in that slide means these companies are well along the path to delivering a product. Be embarrassing to be out on display and then not deliver. But anything can happen! What if there were a global pandemic or something? Weird, huh?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for finding the slide! I’d say that that having their names in that slide means these companies are well along the path to delivering a product. Be embarrassing to be out on display and then not deliver. But anything can happen! What if there were a global pandemic or something? Weird, huh?
Still waiting for that Ring integration with HomeKit they announced back in 2016. Lol.

Ok, so I’m not really waiting for it but I learned that with smart home stuff, ESPECIALLY HomeKit integration, can’t get too excited till it’s actually in my hands. There have been plenty of announcements in the past that never came to fruition. ADT Blue and SimpliSafe are two others that come to mind.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Still waiting for that Ring integration with HomeKit they announced back in 2016. Lol.

Ok, so I’m not really waiting for it but I learned that with smart home stuff, ESPECIALLY HomeKit integration, can’t get too excited till it’s actually in my hands. There have been plenty of announcements in the past that never came to fruition. ADT Blue and SimpliSafe are two others that come to mind.

I agree. But I think with the rollout of Matter, that should be less of a problem going forward. At least I hope so!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I agree. But I think with the rollout of Matter, that should be less of a problem going forward. At least I hope so!
I have high hopes for Matter but I fear it may just convolute things even further. As we know, Home Key is a feature exclusive to Apple Wallet and once Matter rolls out and all the hype that will ensue, I hope manufacturers don’t leave Home Key in the dust. I can imagine the certification process for Home Key is rigorous, so much so that they may focus more on Matter certification instead to get their product in as many homes as possible. I just hope Home Key doesn’t go the way of HomeKit Enabled Routers.

I know I’m playing Devil’s Advocate here. It’s just what I do. Hopes are high but expect low.

Reactions: gwhizkids

fwmireault

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I have high hopes for Matter but I fear it may just convolute things even further. As we know, Home Key is a feature exclusive to Apple Wallet and once Matter rolls out and all the hype that will ensue, I hope manufacturers don’t leave Home Key in the dust. I can imagine the certification process for Home Key is rigorous, so much so that they may focus more on Matter certification instead to get their product in as many homes as possible. I just hope Home Key doesn’t go the way of HomeKit Enabled Routers.

I know I’m playing Devil’s Advocate here. It’s just what I do. Hopes are high but expect low.
Apple at WWDC hinted at a cross platform standard that would be compatible between Android and Apple Home Keys. To my understanding, this standard would be different and separate from Matter. Don’t know when and how it will be implemented, but it gives hope that Home Key will be soon a more unified feature

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Apple at WWDC hinted at a cross platform standard that would be compatible between Android and Apple Home Keys. To my understanding, this standard would be different and separate from Matter. Don’t know when and how it will be implemented, but it gives hope that Home Key will be soon a more unified feature
I’m all for it… bring it on. The more there are involved with a feature set, the more integration we see. Don’t know how they’ll do it but I don’t care either as long as it’s done. Apple’s main pitch is privacy and security. I highly doubt they will open the Apple Wallet flood gates but maybe an Android specific Wallet app? Will they put their name and reputation on something like that? I mean, you can’t even set up a location based automation or use voice recognition on the HomePod to unlock a door without authenticating on the iPhone. I’m not as paranoid as Apple but it goes with the territory of owning their products.

I’m a huge fan of the Apple Key stuff (Apple Wallet in general). My wife got an X5 about 8 months ago and CarKey on it is fantastic. So much so that I’ve been looking into getting out of my lease early and picking up a Bimmer myself. Waiting patiently for HomeKey locks to be more readily available on the market but I think this chip shortage is putting a damper on plans. BMW already deleted the option from a lot of their newer builds (among other options they offered in the past). I’m predicting a very slow roll out. But hey, maybe these chips have already been allocated for Matter products… Wishful thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.