Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Is there anyone that can help explain this to me. Maps show my “Home” correctly but when setting a location based automation, HomeKit shows my “Home” as being on the other side of the street. Why is iOS showing two different locations, and can anything be done to correct it? In practice, it is a relatively insignificant difference, but it just gets under my skin. I have attached images that show what I mean. The first image is from HomeKit and the subsequent screen cap is from Apple Maps 365C8BCA-4E0B-4787-B45E-664A1C4279F5.jpeg CB5DBFA7-A584-415A-BDE4-D093E62BD7CD.jpeg

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Which is the correct one? I know in Maps you can fine tune the location of your home and have Maps remember it. I don’t know where in HomeKit to even find my home location. Is that on initial setup? It’s been a while.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Which is the correct one? I know in Maps you can fine tune the location of your home and have Maps remember it. I don’t know where in HomeKit to even find my home location. Is that on initial setup? It’s been a while.
I was looking for this the other day, they best I found was it's using your contact card, At the top of the contacts app, there should be a "My card." It's been so long, I don't remember how you set a card as yours.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was looking for this the other day, they best I found was it's using your contact card, At the top of the contacts app, there should be a "My card." It's been so long, I don't remember how you set a card as yours.
Yeah I though HomeKit pulls your home location from your contact card and/or what you set as home in the Maps app, then uses your phone to determine if you’re home or not. I’m curious where the OP got that HomeKit screen showing their home location. I can’t seem to find it.

IIRC, your card is automatically set up with iCloud, then you can go in an edit any info that wasn’t added. I may be wrong

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok, now I understand. I re-read the OP’s post. It pops up when you set up a location based automation, but still it should pull from your contact card/Maps info for your home location. I’m gonna play around a bit.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Yeah I though HomeKit pulls your home location from your contact card and/or what you set as home in the Maps app, then uses your phone to determine if you’re home or not. I’m curious where the OP got that HomeKit screen showing their home location. I can’t seem to find it.

IIRC, your card is automatically set up with iCloud, then you can go in an edit any info that wasn’t added. I may be wrong
The HomeKit screenshot was taken while setting up an automation in HomeKit for arriving home.
Just saw your response and that you figured it out. I’ve checked my contact card, and it matches maps. It’s so strange that HomeKit seems to be off.
Again, I want to clarify, this is not something I have to fix, but I would like to figure out what on earth iOS is doing to show my home location in a different spot within HomeKit. This isn’t the only time either. We moved in March, but the behavior was similar at our old house.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The HomeKit screenshot was taken while setting up an automation in HomeKit for arriving home.
Just saw your response and that you figured it out. I’ve checked my contact card, and it matches maps. It’s so strange that HomeKit seems to be off.
Again, I want to clarify, this is not something I have to fix, but I would like to figure out what on earth iOS is doing to show my home location in a different spot within HomeKit. This isn’t the only time either. We moved in March, but the behavior was similar at our old house.
It looks like the same block. Which is the correct one, Maps or HomeKit? You can fine tune your house location in Maps.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
It looks like the same block. Which is the correct one, Maps or HomeKit? You can fine tune your house location in Maps.
Is there anyone that can help explain this to me. Maps show my “Home” correctly but when setting a location based automation, HomeKit shows my “Home” as being on the other side of the street. Why is iOS showing two different locations, and can anything be done to correct it? In practice, it is a relatively insignificant difference, but it just gets under my skin. I have attached images that show what I mean. The first image is from HomeKit and the subsequent screen cap is from Apple Maps View attachment 1691956 View attachment 1691957
Same issue here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.