Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I too have Fios but i have the Apple Extreme Router connected to it in Bride Mode. I used another tutorial couple years ago. I am now finding myself having to reboot both the Apple Router and the Actiontec couple times a month. Not sure whats going on. I may just start over fresh. Below is what i used.

http://blog.yagelski.com/2010/03/verizon-fios-and-apple-airport-extreme.html

The problem with putting the AirPort into Bridge Mode is that you are limited to the Actiontec's poor DHCP and NAT services.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
The problem with putting the AirPort into Bridge Mode is that you are limited to the Actiontec's poor DHCP and NAT services.

Any suggestions then? I would love to stay with the Airport Extreme as my home is now all mac.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Any suggestions then? I would love to stay with the Airport Extreme as my home is now all mac.

Yes. Reset the AirPort to factory settings and reconfigure. Once there set it to DHCP and NAT mode.

On the Verizon router turn off the Wi-Fi and add the AirPort to the DMZ.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I would just do the DMZ for the ASUS then. It should work just the same.
Im going to give the cable running a shot (basically ill just have it trace one of the original cable lines that runs from my attic to basement on the side of the house) If it doesn't work like I want it too then ill revert all the setting and just stick with the DMZ set up. The whole point is to utilize the vpn aspect of the router to access my network from other locations.

I too have Fios but i have the Apple Extreme Router connected to it in Bride Mode. I used another tutorial couple years ago. I am now finding myself having to reboot both the Apple Router and the Actiontec couple times a month. Not sure whats going on. I may just start over fresh. Below is what i used.

http://blog.yagelski.com/2010/03/verizon-fios-and-apple-airport-extreme.html
My Airport Time capsule has been pretty rock solid since I got it in 09. I can't really think of a time I have ever had to reboot it unless I had to do something (like when I switched out the drive in it). What "Rev" of the actiontec router do you have? I know the older black ones had a few problems depending on version.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Im going to give the cable running a shot (basically ill just have it trace one of the original cable lines that runs from my attic to basement on the side of the house) If it doesn't work like I want it too then ill revert all the setting and just stick with the DMZ set up. The whole point is to utilize the vpn aspect of the router to access my network from other locations.

Being in the DMZ should not have issues with VPN.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Being in the DMZ should not have issues with VPN.

Ok, again thanks for your help. I think I got it all set up. The biggest issue seemed to be that anything hooked into the verizon router was sort of cut off from the rest of the network. anything plugged into the Asus can talk just fine with the rest of the network. My switch gets delivered today so I should be able to connect all devices to the Asus and then have access to everything.
I do appreciate all your help. You are an incredibly valuable member here.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Ok, again thanks for your help. I think I got it all set up. The biggest issue seemed to be that anything hooked into the verizon router was sort of cut off from the rest of the network. anything plugged into the Asus can talk just fine with the rest of the network. My switch gets delivered today so I should be able to connect all devices to the Asus and then have access to everything.
I do appreciate all your help. You are an incredibly valuable member here.
Thank You! Essentially all of the devices should be behind the ASUS as the clients on the Verizon router are on a different subnet and also are in the militarized zone.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thank You! Essentially all of the devices should be behind the ASUS as the clients on the Verizon router are on a different subnet and also are in the militarized zone.

This is why I need the outside ip address and not just dmz to se up a vpn.

"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10,x,x,x, or 172.16.x.x).
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

Thats the error message I get. Its fine, I can live without it if running the ethernet cable ruins my tv services. It was just a cool feature I could have had.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This is why I need the outside ip address and not just dmz to se up a vpn.

"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10,x,x,x, or 172.16.x.x).
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

Thats the error message I get. Its fine, I can live without it if running the ethernet cable ruins my tv services. It was just a cool feature I could have had.

That error is actually just because you have a private address. When in the DMZ it should still work and you can dismiss or ignore the error.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
That error is actually just because you have a private address. When in the DMZ it should still work and you can dismiss or ignore the error.

Last update here because its 100% up and running.

I ran a cable to the main box in the basement, called verizon and had them switch to ethernet. That made my Asus primary and actiontec is now only dealing with the set-top boxes. Speeds are great, network is all talking and connected, I can set up my own VPN...

Again thank you so much Altemose for all your help. Like I said you are truly an asset to the community and I just hope one day I can help you as you have helped me.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Last update here because its 100% up and running.

I ran a cable to the main box in the basement, called verizon and had them switch to ethernet. That made my Asus primary and actiontec is now only dealing with the set-top boxes. Speeds are great, network is all talking and connected, I can set up my own VPN...

Again thank you so much Altemose for all your help. Like I said you are truly an asset to the community and I just hope one day I can help you as you have helped me.

I am glad you got this all worked out. Working with vanilla off the shelf equipment is easy, but working with locked and stripped down ISP equipment is a whole different can of worms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.