Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I’ve been using Apple Airport equipment for years and am looking to upgrade my networking equipment. I’ve got a few questions for those with know how.

Currently have CenturyLink 1Gig internet but my devices don’t really translate that well. Considering though nothing really connects at AX6 to upgrading to an AX6 router. I was told to replace my CenturyLink router/modem with an Edge modem ($130) and to use it to set up the network and assign IP.

I would then connect my new AX WiFi (Likely 2-3 device mesh) to that. Main unit via Cat5e through the house from the basement (Edge) to the main floor. From there I can either leave the AX out in the open or in an AV wood cabinet (will that degrade signal) and connect to its additional ports Stereo Receiver, Hue Bridge and Apple TV. It was recommended to me to set up the WiFi network but have the Edge router assign IPs. This allows all wired/wireless connections to be on the same “network” so that they can talk to each other and still be controlled by phones, iPads, etc.

Will the AX help achieve greater speeds by passing along more bandwidth even to AC devices. It seems my current router can’t handle the 1Gig internet speed. I’ve even read the current Orbi and Velop systems that are not AX won’t really push 1Gig as you need a device capable of 2.5+ to realize it.

I was also thinking of a D Link switch either upstream or downstream of my main mesh node and connecting the Receiver, HUE to that (for cabling purposes).

main considerations are optimum speed and making sure that the location and configuration of the networking devices doesn’t unnecessarily compromise that if it can be avoided.

network has 2-3 phones, 3 tablets, couple laptops (Mac and PC), desktop, and other connected devices such as Apple TV’s and smart home items.

I just don’t feel like my current setup best maximizes the bandwidth I pay for. Thanks for any help.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have cat 6 from the area of my cable modem to a couple of rooms. I was using an Amplifi mesh setup with a couple wired mesh points and a couple wireless backhaul.

I recently switched to using a synology router with synology mesh points.

I noticed:
1) AmpliFi had A lot of problems handling traffic. When one device was doing heavy file transfers, for example, other devices lost their WAN connections.
2) The wifi speed with synology is 2x what i was getting with amplifi
3) The synology devices are much more sensitive to orientation. I find that I have to be careful how they are rotated/which way the antennas are pointing.

YMMV, and the Amplifi problems all started recently when their firmware was updated (though the speed has always been about half what I get with the synology). I have about 40 devices on the network (wired And wireless), and a couple of gigabit switches between the main router and the two wired mesh points - network topology can obviously affect what you see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.