Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
Hello, I have a question about why do people build home network racks? For example I’ve been watching “It’s my Natural colour” home network build.

But I dont fully understand why people build these? Vs just having the modem and plugging the devices (if via eithernet plugged up to said modem or into Ethernet switch To expand said amount of ethernets that can be plugged in.

Or is this not the case? Am I missing somthing that the home network way gives?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Neatness. Instead of a mass of wires running around, structure them so maintenance is easier. You may underestimate the number of devices some people have. My preference is to always connect via Ethernet if possible. I have over a dozen devices in my house that can be hard wired.

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
Okay so it is just neatness? That makes a lot more sense. I was trying to figure out if it had / gave another purpose.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Some people like half racks if their internet comes into the cellar! A rack mounted smart NAS with 10Gig port on it! Then running a PC/Windows/Linux/Mac mini at 10gig for quick connection to their NAS! On 10G that some times saving!

Last edited:

legato01

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
Some people also like to "homelab", i.e. learning IT stuff for fun/work/or busines.
Networking being one big part of it.

Usually they choose "prosumer" or even business grade network gear that's more robust, has more features than your typical consumer grade devices.

It's awesome for sure. Love to watch those videos.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Network racks are important to keep things neat and allow for easier maintenance in some situations. They are also important in some cases to keep equipment elevated which can keep water and pests at bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.