Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Setting up an office/music studio with a couple of 1st Generation Mac Pros, a 2018 256GB MacBook Air, and a 2019 256GB MacBook Pro. Want to put the laptops in cool looking stands and run them in clamshell mode if possible. Not sure due to the fans. Will likely be picking up a Mac Studio in the future. Have been using two 4GB drives set in RAID1 + offsite (I know what it’s like to lose everything) + removable hard drives in the past and am wondering about setting up a better storage system (perhaps NAS) or is everyone waiting for the QNAP TS-464T4 / Thunderbolt 4 enclosures. Understand that SSD is not financially there yet. System will be used for an extensive audio (FLAC/ALAC) and video library, as well as editing music in Ableton Live.

All opinions welcome.

Reactions: ratspg

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Setting up an office/music studio with a couple of 1st Generation Mac Pros, a 2018 256GB MacBook Air, and a 2019 256GB MacBook Pro. Want to put the laptops in cool looking stands and run them in clamshell mode if possible. Not sure due to the fans. Will likely be picking up a Mac Studio in the future. Have been using two 4GB drives set in RAID1 + offsite (I know what it’s like to lose everything) + removable hard drives in the past and am wondering about setting up a better storage system (perhaps NAS) or is everyone waiting for the QNAP TS-464T4 / Thunderbolt 4 enclosures. Understand that SSD is not financially there yet. System will be used for an extensive audio (FLAC/ALAC) and video library, as well as editing music in Ableton Live.

All opinions welcome.
Sounds like a fun setup. I know people who use QNAP and have no problems and love it.
My studio set up is like this:
Mac Pro with SSD session library directly plugged in ---> Backs up daily using Carbon Copy Cloner to my Synology NAS ---> NAS is setup to back up to Dropbox AND Backblaze B2.

I end up having the main copy on my Mac Pro, the backup on my Synology raid, and then two cloud backups on Dropbox and Backblaze B2.

I'm sure you can do the same with QNAP! I do this full time and lost projects in the past before I had a backup system in place, so my backup strategy doesn't mess around now! ?

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Sounds like a fun setup. I know people who use QNAP and have no problems and love it.
My studio set up is like this:
Mac Pro with SSD session library directly plugged in ---> Backs up daily using Carbon Copy Cloner to my Synology NAS ---> NAS is setup to back up to Dropbox AND Backblaze B2.

I end up having the main copy on my Mac Pro, the backup on my Synology raid, and then two cloud backups on Dropbox and Backblaze B2.

I'm sure you can do the same with QNAP! I do this full time and lost projects in the past before I had a backup system in place, so my backup strategy doesn't mess around now! ?
LOL "Fun," I'm not so sure of...definitely will be a learning experience. :)

You've got quite the impressive setup! ? Glad to see others as paranoid as I am.

The mention of the QNAP was their Thunderbolt 4 connectivity.

Which Synology do you have and is it set in RAID1?

Cloud backup is something I've been considering. Think someone on here mentioned it only going up in price as time goes on and they expected companies to be charging a kidney soon.

Heard good things about Backblaze. I could see Dropbox getting pricy.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
LOL "Fun," I'm not so sure of...definitely will be a learning experience. :)

You've got quite the impressive setup! ? Glad to see others as paranoid as I am.

The mention of the QNAP was their Thunderbolt 4 connectivity.

Which Synology do you have and is it set in RAID1?

Cloud backup is something I've been considering. Think someone on here mentioned it only going up in price as time goes on and they expected companies to be charging a kidney soon.

Heard good things about Backblaze. I could see Dropbox getting pricy.
Haha yeah well I make it “fun” ? since I had no choice but to set it up!

I have a basic DS218play I think it is? 2 bays with 8TB each. RAID1.

Backblaze B2 is what I use instead of Amazon S3 or Glacier because it’s very cheap per GB stored.

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2021
Have you looked at using Mega.io? It might be cheaper when you get to the terabytes? But who knows, Backblaze seems pretty darn cheap.

rumbobmac

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
Haha yeah well I make it “fun” 😆 since I had no choice but to set it up!

I have a basic DS218play I think it is? 2 bays with 8TB each. RAID1.

Backblaze B2 is what I use instead of Amazon S3 or Glacier because it’s very cheap per GB stored.

Mind me asking what software you use for backups on B2? Thanks.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Need to upgrade from the Synology 2 Bay. Curious what the current thoughts are regarding Synology and QNAP as it is again those two in the running. :)

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Considering an upgrade to the Synology DS1522+. Anyone have issues with Plex given the AMD chip?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.