Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Hi all, I use a mac for work. Soon I will have more deskspace.

I will need a bigger/extra screen for sure.

What are the use cases for just buying a monitor to use as an extra screen space or in which cases should I actually just buy an imac? I am unsure of the use cases here

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Not sure what you are asking. An extra screen, or a very large screen allows you to have multiple windows and apps open and viewable on the desktop.

I have 2 32" monitors, one is my main (active) monitor for whatever I am actively working on, the other is used to watch the market data / gov. hearings / video calls / or have reference data that I use as working on active file. There are many possibilities.

The only reasons I can think of for not having two or more monitors is cost, and available space.

Reactions: dwig

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I don't like to deal with just having a single screen. My work setup is dual 4k monitors with a separate 13" notebook. My home setup rely on a 16" notebook (3k screen) with 3 external 1080p monitors for a total of 4 displays. When traveling, I use the 16" notebook with a portable external 16" display so I have 2 total.

I'd suggest you consider a Mac Mini with a pair of matching monitors, preferably 4k, or an iMac with one additional monitor.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Having just retired my iMac Pro, and switching to a 16-inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro for work, connected to my 27-inch LG UltraFine 5k monitor, I can say that it is a much cleaner look, and the smaller profile of the monitor vs the iMac is noticeable. On my desk now I have also an Apple Studio Display that I run on my personal MacBook Pro, and whenever I am doing something that I'd need some extra screen real estate, its. a quick unplug/plug to connect to either laptop. I was stubborn and didnt want to go away from the iMac Pro but I am glad I did (I mainly kept it around for VMWare Fusion to run macOS VM's, but with UTM now I can run on AS)

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Not sure what you are asking. An extra screen, or a very large screen allows you to have multiple windows and apps open and viewable on the desktop.

I have 2 32" monitors, one is my main (active) monitor for whatever I am actively working on, the other is used to watch the market data / gov. hearings / video calls / or have reference data that I use as working on active file. There are many possibilities.

The only reasons I can think of for not having two or more monitors is cost, and available space.
The question is: I need an extra screen, is this best achieved with another monitor, or should I also buy an iMac, which I can use as an extra monitor also with my macbook? Obviously this is more expensive, but which use cases would necessitate this

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
I don't like to deal with just having a single screen. My work setup is dual 4k monitors with a separate 13" notebook. My home setup rely on a 16" notebook (3k screen) with 3 external 1080p monitors for a total of 4 displays. When traveling, I use the 16" notebook with a portable external 16" display so I have 2 total.

I'd suggest you consider a Mac Mini with a pair of matching monitors, preferably 4k, or an iMac with one additional monitor.
Interesting, so you think a mac mini is a good idea, rather than just getting a monitor to pair with a macbook?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The question is: I need an extra screen, is this best achieved with another monitor, or should I also buy an iMac, which I can use as an extra monitor also with my macbook? Obviously this is more expensive, but which use cases would necessitate this

You can't use an iMac as a monitor. If you buy an iMac, you're buying a stand alone solution. The iMac's monitor can only display what's going on in the iMac.

You need a monitor and exactly which monitor is tricky. There are a few safe bets like the LG 5K or the Apple Cinema Display. If you go and get an ultrawide curved monitor or something else that's not Retina resolution, you've got to be careful which one you get or you could either have tiny text that's hard to read or slightly blurry text that doesn't render cleanly on a Mac's native resolutions.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
OK, there is absolutely no reason to buy an iMac just to use it as a monitor. Waste of Money.

Now if you want to buy an iMac and a 2nd monitor to have a desktop solution, and then use your MacBook as your portable solution the mobility benefit alone (assuming $$ are not an issue) are worth it.

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Having just retired my iMac Pro, and switching to a 16-inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro for work, connected to my 27-inch LG UltraFine 5k monitor, I can say that it is a much cleaner look, and the smaller profile of the monitor vs the iMac is noticeable. On my desk now I have also an Apple Studio Display that I run on my personal MacBook Pro, and whenever I am doing something that I'd need some extra screen real estate, its. a quick unplug/plug to connect to either laptop. I was stubborn and didnt want to go away from the iMac Pro but I am glad I did (I mainly kept it around for VMWare Fusion to run macOS VM's, but with UTM now I can run on AS)
Thanks for insight. In this case, under what scenarios would you keep an iMac? Eg, what would be a use case for you to bring it back - a bigger desk, different work needs?

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
You can't use an iMac as a monitor. If you buy an iMac, you're buying a stand alone solution. The iMac's monitor can only display what's going on in the iMac.

You need a monitor and exactly which monitor is tricky. There are a few safe bets like the LG 5K or the Apple Cinema Display. If you go and get an ultrawide curved monitor or something else that's not Retina resolution, you've got to be careful which one you get or you could either have tiny text that's hard to read or slightly blurry text that doesn't render cleanly on a Mac's native resolutions.
Thank you, i didn't realise you can't use an iMac as a monitor for a macbook. Looks like the apple cinema display might be the safest bet
OK, there is absolutely no reason to buy an iMac just to use it as a monitor. Waste of Money.

Now if you want to buy an iMac and a 2nd monitor to have a desktop solution, and then use your MacBook as your portable solution the mobility benefit alone (assuming $$ are not an issue) are worth it.
I see. What would be a situation where you think it would be worth buying an iMac? I'm guessing eg if you need a lot of processing power?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
First, although I have not used an iMac in several years, I am pretty sure you can still use an iMac as a second monitor though as I said before it is a waste of money to buy a computer to use as a monitor.

Once again I still do not understand what you are asking about. If you want two monitors to use with MacBook you can do that.

If you want to know what monitors to buy, need to understand your use case. As indicated I use two inexpensive Dell gaming monitors as I not longer do much video or photography work and for what I do there work fine. If you are in a graphic intensive field the 5k LG or Apple Cinema Display maybe worth it.

If you want to know what computer to buy need to understand your use case. The current set of M# Macs, all versions, are extremely powerful computers based on the majority of uses. If you need it for AI work, or intensive graphic work the more powerful Mac are better. But if your main use is writing, spreadsheets, surfing net, video meeting etc any will do.

Fariz Tariq

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
I'm also using a laptop for my work but due to the workspace I need an extra monitor as soon as possible and I'm very sure that a whole setup of a new desktop would be better.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
First, although I have not used an iMac in several years, I am pretty sure you can still use an iMac as a second monitor though as I said before it is a waste of money to buy a computer to use as a monitor.

You haven't been able to do that since the non-Retina iMacs were phased out somewhere around 2015. iMacs cannot be used in target display mode.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
So long as your laptop has sufficient speed/memory/storage, there's no reason to buy a second computer. Spend the money on a monitor/monitors. Then you don't have to deal with switching between computers for, e.g., when you're traveling. You just plug in your MacBook to the monitor and keep working.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don’t think you said what Mac you’re using now (at least, not within the first few messages) and that’s going to greatly influence the decision. I assume it’s a MacBook of some sort… if the Mac is Apple Silicon with a Pro/Max chip, you could simply add a display or two (use it in clamshell mode with 2 displays for example), and still have the MacBook for traveling. If it’s an Intel model or non-Pro/Max, then it’s likely worth replacing… at that point it simply depends on your usage requirements. For example:
  • Do you need a computer for travel?
  • If yes, will your current computer suffice or does it need replaced anyway?
  • What sort of workload is the computer used for?
  • What size screens do you have room for?
The answers might lead to any number of options… new laptop, new iMac, new mini, new displays for old computer, etc.

Reactions: dwig and Le Big Mac

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Was not thinking about target mode, but with airplay.

That will work, but there will be drawbacks. You won't be able to output to the full resolution of a 24" iMac over Airplay and there's going to be lag. Though I suppose if you're willing to accept the loss in resolution and do Airplay over a cable, you may be able to address the lag.

I've only tried using my iPad as an extended display over Airplay and it has a noticeable lag when wireless. There is a tiny bit of lag with the wire that's not very noticeable. I don't know how this would all play out with the larger screens we're talking about.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What would be a situation where you think it would be worth buying an iMac? I'm guessing eg if you need a lot of processing power?
No, the current AS iMac is an entry level Mac.

Depending on the workload, a Mac Mini, MBP, or Mac Studio would be a more ideal Mac if needing higher performance.

The iMac has a nice display, but other than that, I would recommend other Macs over the iMac.

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017

Once again I still do not understand what you are asking about. If you want two monitors to use with MacBook you can do that.

If you want to know what monitors to buy, need to understand your use case. As indicated I use two inexpensive Dell gaming monitors as I not longer do much video or photography work and for what I do there work fine. If you are in a graphic intensive field the 5k LG or Apple Cinema Display maybe worth it.

If you want to know what computer to buy need to understand your use case. The current set of M# Macs, all versions, are extremely powerful computers based on the majority of uses. If you need it for AI work, or intensive graphic work the more powerful Mac are better. But if your main use is writing, spreadsheets, surfing net, video meeting etc any will do.
My question is: under which conditions would it be recommended to buy a desktop computer vs just use an external monitor? All I am doing is spreadsheets, writing, watching videos. I am not in a graphic intensive field but I do do video consultations. I also use a dell laptop sometimes for work so if I were to get a monitor, it would ideally be compatible with this also, as well as my mac air (M2) and mac pro (m1)
I'm also using a laptop for my work but due to the workspace I need an extra monitor as soon as possible and I'm very sure that a whole setup of a new desktop would be better.
Why do you think a new desktop is better in your case?
So long as your laptop has sufficient speed/memory/storage, there's no reason to buy a second computer. Spend the money on a monitor/monitors. Then you don't have to deal with switching between computers for, e.g., when you're traveling. You just plug in your MacBook to the monitor and keep working.
This is a good point, it's a bit annoying if I open my desktop and realise that the work files are on my other laptop anyway
I don’t think you said what Mac you’re using now (at least, not within the first few messages) and that’s going to greatly influence the decision. I assume it’s a MacBook of some sort… if the Mac is Apple Silicon with a Pro/Max chip, you could simply add a display or two (use it in clamshell mode with 2 displays for example), and still have the MacBook for traveling. If it’s an Intel model or non-Pro/Max, then it’s likely worth replacing… at that point it simply depends on your usage requirements. For example:
  • Do you need a computer for travel?
  • If yes, will your current computer suffice or does it need replaced anyway?
  • What sort of workload is the computer used for?
  • What size screens do you have room for?
The answers might lead to any number of options… new laptop, new iMac, new mini, new displays for old computer, etc.
My mac air is my main work computer (M2 2022 chip). I travel around with it as I work remotely, but 90% of the time I am jsut working at home in my bedroom/office.
I am guessing then that you would recommend just the monitors. To answer your qs
- i travel with the mac air M2 but not that often, and the work i do on it is pretty simple
- my current computer suffices
- spreadsheets, video meetings and consultations, writing. that's literally it
- good question. I have room for about 24 inches.

your qs raised another q which i hadn't considered. What aspect/shape of monitor would be best for my use case do you think?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
OK, you currently have two fairly recent computer (Air, & Mac Pro). You use the Air for travel as needed. For your stated uses both computer can do everything you need.

Given that I would setup the Mac Pro as a desktop computer with a Thunderbolt hub ( I use both a Blekin, and OWC but would get the Caldigit now); use a dual monitor arm mount and get two 4k curved vest mount monitors (curved is a preference as it reduces glare in my case, flat screens are fine as well) as big as I can fit. Saw you only have room for a 24" but I am assuming the monitor will address the space issue. If not one is fine. In terms of file access I would use iCloud (manually) to share files across computers. By manual I would create a folder on iCloud that I copy which files I want to share as opposed to defaulting all files to be stored on iCloud.

All of the desktop kit would be able to be used with you next purchase of a new computer (unless they change connection ports), but right now I would not get a new computer as the ones you have should last you another 5-10 years.

Goobypls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
OK, you currently have two fairly recent computer (Air, & Mac Pro). You use the Air for travel as needed. For your stated uses both computer can do everything you need.

Given that I would setup the Mac Pro as a desktop computer with a Thunderbolt hub ( I use both a Blekin, and OWC but would get the Caldigit now); use a dual monitor arm mount and get two 4k curved vest mount monitors (curved is a preference as it reduces glare in my case, flat screens are fine as well) as big as I can fit. Saw you only have room for a 24" but I am assuming the monitor will address the space issue. If not one is fine. In terms of file access I would use iCloud (manually) to share files across computers. By manual I would create a folder on iCloud that I copy which files I want to share as opposed to defaulting all files to be stored on iCloud.

All of the desktop kit would be able to be used with you next purchase of a new computer (unless they change connection ports), but right now I would not get a new computer as the ones you have should last you another 5-10 years.
Great, thank you , that makes sense

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Is screen size important to you? I switch to a Macbook and ASD from an iMac because I couldn't give up the 27" screen.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Thank you, i didn't realise you can't use an iMac as a monitor for a macbook. Looks like the apple cinema display might be the safest bet

I see. What would be a situation where you think it would be worth buying an iMac? I'm guessing eg if you need a lot of processing power?
Apple Cinema Display will definitely work… but it is a VERY expensive display.
My question is: under which conditions would it be recommended to buy a desktop computer vs just use an external monitor? All I am doing is spreadsheets, writing, watching videos. I am not in a graphic intensive field but I do do video consultations. I also use a dell laptop sometimes for work so if I were to get a monitor, it would ideally be compatible with this also, as well as my mac air (M2) and mac pro (m1)

Why do you think a new desktop is better in your case?

This is a good point, it's a bit annoying if I open my desktop and realise that the work files are on my other laptop anyway

My mac air is my main work computer (M2 2022 chip). I travel around with it as I work remotely, but 90% of the time I am jsut working at home in my bedroom/office.
I am guessing then that you would recommend just the monitors. To answer your qs
- i travel with the mac air M2 but not that often, and the work i do on it is pretty simple
- my current computer suffices
- spreadsheets, video meetings and consultations, writing. that's literally it
- good question. I have room for about 24 inches.

your qs raised another q which i hadn't considered. What aspect/shape of monitor would be best for my use case do you think?
I have a similar situation. My computer is a MacBook Pro 2021 model.

I purchased a fairly basic LG 4K monitor (3840 x 2160 pixels). It cost around $400, while the Apple Cinema screen costs around $1,600, for the same size screen. The Apple is a 5K (5120 x 2880) screen with full P3 color gamut (which I don't need). But you can buy an LG 5K screen with P3 color gamut for $999. And the LG has a Thunderbolt port, which means you attach just one cable from your laptop to the display, and it will power your laptop, and give you a bunch of USB 3.1 ports at the back of the display. So it's a true one cable connection.

Personally, I don't see a big benefit of 5K over 4K, because at 27", 4K already has a massive display area. I'd rather have two 4K displays than one 5K display, although I'm perfectly happy using my 4K monitor plus the laptop screen.

I think Apple over charges for their display, to put mildly. It costs four times more than the screen I have. There are a lot of very high quality 4K screens you can buy from LG and Dell for $400 to $700; that's what I would do unless you are really into the fancy design aesthetic of the Apple display. For sure, the Apple screen won't be more compatible.

Reactions: mmkerc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.