Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
Hey y’all

I‘ve been a fan of the clear Apple case since it was introduced for the XR. Cue the there’s been plenty of clear Apple cases on Amazon for $5 comments. I was ecstatic when I got mine for the 11 Pro but the thing is so darn slippery.

Anyone have the same issue or has come up with a way to home remedy the slipping. I’ve considered a pop socket so I’m in desperate help. Loljk. But fr.

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
On any surface other than hands it becomes a problem. Some might like their phone sliding all around the place but I don’t..... I don’t think others do either, that’s why I’m trying to see if anyone has come up with a fix as I‘m try to think of something functional but sexy

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Don’t see how you can make it more grippy unless you scratch it up or slightly melt it.

Last edited:

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I put the “Strip Your Phone” grips on the sides of mine. Really helps with holding it...doesn’t help it not slide off furniture.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
On any surface other than hands it becomes a problem. Some might like their phone sliding all around the place but I don’t..... I don’t think others do either, that’s why I’m trying to see if anyone has come up with a fix as I‘m try to think of something functional but sexy

The last time I got a sexy phone case, I tried making out with it. Bad combo and I wouldn’t recommend.

Reactions: brucemr and Ta0jin

ColdFusionX

Suspended
Nov 14, 2019
lol you’ve been a fan of garbage son. Get a different case because that one is too slippery. Of course fanboys will be fanboys and will sing Apple praises everything they release an overpriced accessory while Tim Cook rubs his hands together.

Last edited by a moderator:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
lol you’ve been a fan of garbage son. Get a different case because that one is too slippery. Of course fanboys will be fanboys and will sing Apple praises everything they release an overpriced accessory while Tim Cook rubs his hands together.

My opinion is that if Steve Jobs didn’t die, the Clear Case wouldn’t be so slippery for some people.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Hey y’all

I‘ve been a fan of the clear Apple case since it was introduced for the XR. Cue the there’s been plenty of clear Apple cases on Amazon for $5 comments. I was ecstatic when I got mine for the 11 Pro but the thing is so darn slippery.

Anyone have the same issue or has come up with a way to home remedy the slipping. I’ve considered a pop socket so I’m in desperate help. Loljk. But fr.

There are plenty of clear cases which are far better quality and with better grip then the official one. Rather then trying to find a solution to make the Apple one more grippy maybe you should consider one of those. My clear case is far better then the Apple one and around one third of the cost. It’s also has far more grip.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
There are plenty of clear cases which are far better quality and with better grip then the official one. Rather then trying to find a solution to make the Apple one more grippy maybe you should consider one of those. My clear case is far better then the Apple one and around one third of the cost. It’s also has far more grip.

Which clear case are you running?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Which clear case are you running?

And this one also looks good.

There are many other options out there including really thin ones. The one I gave as a hard back so it offers more drop protection as well as protection from scratches.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015

And this one also looks good.

There are many other options out there including really thin ones. The one I gave as a hard back so it offers more drop protection as well as protection from scratches.

Thank you. My biggest gripe with all the other cheaper alternatives is that they don’t match the feel (minus the slipperiness) or construction of the Apple Clear Case. Most others are obviously two piece designs; you can feel the seam. Not so on the Apple case. Furthermore, many of the alternatives are square-ish on the sides and where the sides meet the back. I prefer the smooth, rounded, contour of the Apple case; it’s fits the contour of the phone perfectly. Finally, I have yet to find a perfect alternative that does not either have their logo printed on it and/or doesn’t have a lanyard loop. Don’t understand a lanyard loop on such “flimsy” cases, nor have I found one that has good cut-outs.

Still, the Apple case IS slippery for me. I have bought about a dozen clear cases and the best alternative I have found is the Tozo clear case.

kuklachica

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
Plastidip. Look it up. It was originally made for tools to create more traction and grip on handles. Figure out where you want it on the case and tape it off then plastidip!

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yea I like the Clear Otterbox with the bumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.