Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I currently have a “David’s WiFi network” but have today changed my broadband provider. How do I change my Home WiFi network to my new router?

I did not set up my Home WiFi network, it must of been something Apple set up? Anyone know how to change the settings to my new router? At the moments it’s stuck on my old one which I obviously don’t use.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Do you have a stand alone router or are you using the one that your broadband provider gave you?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I did not set up my Home WiFi network, it must of been something Apple set up? Anyone know how to change the settings to my new router? At the moments it’s stuck on my old one which I obviously don’t use.
Apple didn't set up your internet router. If it wasn't you, it was the technical from the ISP who set it up during installation. You should have received instructions from your ISP on how to change your network name. If you didn't, try the support section of their website. If you can't find anything there, call them.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I can’t remember where it came from. I was with sky here in the UK. I remember asking Apple which one I should connect to and they said that they (Sky broadband and David’s WiFi Network) were the same thing.

It’s no big deal, it’s just easier to remember my own password rather than the one my new provider provides...

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
I can’t remember where it came from. I was with sky here in the UK. I remember asking Apple which one I should connect to and they said that they (Sky broadband and David’s WiFi Network) were the same thing.

It’s no big deal, it’s just easier to remember my own password rather than the one my new provider provides...
Take a look at your router and/or the box it came in. You should see the admin name and default password listed somewhere.
Connect a computer to the router using an ethernet cable in an open port (you can do wireless, but it is tricky)
Go to any web browser and type in http:// 192.168.one.one or something like that. No spaces, I had to put that space in to stop the interpreter from creating a link. The last numbers are often .1.1 but can vary from router to router. The address is almost always in the form of 192.168.xxx.xxx.
You should get a login window, use the information on your router to log in.
From there it is all menu/GUI driven. You can set your SSID, security protocol, passphrase, etc. Any questions on what you see, Google/Bing is usually quick with an answer.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Take a look at your router and/or the box it came in. You should see the admin name and default password listed somewhere.
Connect a computer to the router using an ethernet cable in an open port (you can do wireless, but it is tricky)
Go to any web browser and type in http:// 192.168.one.one or something like that. No spaces, I had to put that space in to stop the interpreter from creating a link. The last numbers are often .1.1 but can vary from router to router. The address is almost always in the form of 192.168.xxx.xxx.
You should get a login window, use the information on your router to log in.
From there it is all menu/GUI driven. You can set your SSID, security protocol, passphrase, etc. Any questions on what you see, Google/Bing is usually quick with an answer.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Thanks for this. I’ll give it a go but will have to wait until Sunday when back home from work.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.