Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
[/QUOTE]Below is an option to be able to download a video on youtube via Firefox 36.0.4. I've never had to do this before to download. I was directed to download Homebrew if it wasn't already on my Mac. I'm a bit nervous!

The youtube video, "How To Use Homebrew" by Screencasts DotOrg, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFG2xlzoJ8mentions that Homebrew does not use Sudo to install software. BUT in the terminalon my desktop, after pasting the link suggested, the following information includes the term SUDO. I still have the option to uninstall at this point. I have NO idea what SUDO is.

Please, tell me what to do before I screw something up with great regret.

The attachment is why I am doing all this in the first place.

Patt

Attachments

• converter.jpg
    converter.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Below is an option to be able to download a video on youtube via Firefox 36.0.4. I've never had to do this before to download. I was directed to download Homebrew if it wasn't already on my Mac. I'm a bit nervous!

The youtube video, "How To Use Homebrew" by Screencasts DotOrg, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFG2xlzoJ8mentions that Homebrew does not use Sudo to install software. BUT in the terminalon my desktop, after pasting the link suggested, the following information includes the term SUDO. I still have the option to uninstall at this point. I have NO idea what SUDO is.

Please, tell me what to do before I screw something up with great regret.

Patt

sudo, which stands for Super User DO, it is a way to be able to run a system command that requires at least admin priviledges. This of course is up to you to decide but I would never run any program which I do not have control of what it is doing or understand completely what that program will end up doing. Also, if some strange behavior starts happening with your system you will not know what specifically caused it.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Did updating Firefox possibly cause this?

Thanks, I edited to uploaded the reason why I was being asked to download Homebrew, but you were faster than I was.

Do you suppose this particular hurtle was caused by me updating FireFox which I just did today? I did uninstall from the terminal, at lease I think I did.

Are these folks in the video just lying about SUDO? First they bad mouth it and still put it into the option. Forgive me, my OS verbiage is not very good.

Thank you for your very fast reply.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I went back to visit the video I was trying to download, and I think the only reason I got a notice to download a converter, is because of the particular choice I had made, because changing the choice, I had no problem.

Thanks, Taz Mangus, for patting down my panic.

Patt

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Firefox converter for downloading youtube video

I thought I had found a way to continue using Firefox 36.0.4. I am literately drowning in instructions, trying over and over to figure out how to install the converter necessary to download youtube videos. No matter what I try, I always end up back at the point below.

==============================================
On Mac OS X

An easy method for installing Libav consists of using Homebrew from a terminal:

Start the Terminal application from Applications → Utilities → Terminal
Type brew install libav

If Homebrew is not installed on your Mac:

Start the Terminal application from Applications → Utilities → Terminal
Type ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

=============================================

For more details about installing Homebrew, check their homepage.
http://www.downloadhelper.net/install-converter3.php

=============================================

As suggested earlier in this posting, one does not want the term sudo to be married to one's computer. But, how then do I install the converter that Fire Fox suggests? When I add the information above through the Termial, the term sudo appears many, many times.

I have tried and tried to find others questioning this problem, but I keep coming up empty. If anyone has handled this problem with success, please share.

Patt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.