Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Just dived into homebridge today and after much trial and error (mostly with getting connected to my Nests), I finally got it all working but with a couple caveats, and I would really appreciate any help here. Working on a 2010 iMac running the latest version of High Sierra, if it helps. Here’s what I’m experiencing:

1. I cannot simply open terminal and run homebridge when it needs to be ran again. It will not run successfully unless I first delete the “accessories” folder within the ./homebridge folder and try again. Any idea why this may be, and how to get around it?

2. I think I correctly setup a launchagent so that homebridge automatically reruns anytime my Mac reboots, but how can I verify that it was successful? Also, it doesn’t do much good until issue #1 is fixed.

3. I experienced the issue with Nest where if I sent too many commands within a given timeframe my requests are then “blocked” and I can’t use Siri/HomeKit to change any Nest settings for like an hour. I did read where that could be due to an outdated version of homebridge but I know I have the latest one.

4. Everything shuts off when my iMac goes to sleep. Which makes sense of course, but is there an easy fix to work around that? This sort of leads me to question 5.

5. I’d like to migrate the responsibility of homebridge from my iMac to something that will always be running 24/7, without sleeping, such as a Mac mini. Any suggestions on what would be the best setup? I have 0 experience with Raspeberry Pi and coding aside from today’s experience with homebridge. I’d rather pay about the same for a used Mini if it’s a good option.
I know it’s a lot but any and all help will be much appreciated!

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I'd recommend moving from he iMac to a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. It's very simple to setup and having it running 24/7 and to get home bridge to reboot itself if you have a power cut, for example. I've had mine running now for a few months and it has only gone down once (I think the Pi froze), but a quick 'off and on again' at the power supply and it was up and running again.

I leave mine in an electrical cupboard with my fuse box and don't even know it's there. I can't answer the other questions as I use the Pi rather than iMac.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Any Raspberry Pi model will work. If all you want to do is Homebridge, the Pi Zero W with a case and MicroSD card is an excellent choice (connects via WiFi). mine runs off the USB port on the back of my router.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Any Raspberry Pi model will work. If all you want to do is Homebridge, the Pi Zero W with a case and MicroSD card is an excellent choice (connects via WiFi). mine runs off the USB port on the back of my router.

They don't all have built-in WiFi. I'd definitely recommend one that does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.