Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
I know the official instructions used to be that you had to scan the QR code of every bulb in order to set them up in HomeKit. I was just wondering if there were any new apps or ways to set up HomeKit without having to scan each bulb individually. I am really interested in using HomeKit, particularly now with the Apple TV access in the iOS 14 beta releases. But I have around 30 bulbs in my home in various places that aren’t easy to access. I just didn’t know if anyone had come up with a way/released an app that would allow you to transfer your hue bridge devices over to HomeKit without having to scan each and every bulb.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
The Philips Hue lights don’t have QR codes IIRC. You have to set them up via the Hue app connected to the bridge. It’s the bridge that then talks with HomeKit.

To add, I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying but I’m guessing that you have already got a Philips Hue light set up connected to the version 2 bridge (the square one) but you are not using HomeKit at the moment? If so, you go in to the Home app and add the bridge in there.

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Oh okay...so when i click to add device in the HomeKit app, I scan the QR code on the bridge?

And yeah, I‘m sorry you’re right, I was confusing entering the serial number with scan the QR code.

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
I know the official instructions used to be that you had to scan the QR code of every bulb in order to set them up in HomeKit. I was just wondering if there were any new apps or ways to set up HomeKit without having to scan each bulb individually. I am really interested in using HomeKit, particularly now with the Apple TV access in the iOS 14 beta releases. But I have around 30 bulbs in my home in various places that aren’t easy to access. I just didn’t know if anyone had come up with a way/released an app that would allow you to transfer your hue bridge devices over to HomeKit without having to scan each and every bulb.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I’m not sure what your issue is. I had 24 bulbs before it even had the Siri hub. I bought the new hub and connected with HomeKit very easily without scanning any bulbs and it’s been working great for years

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yeah, it's the QR code on the bridge, and it will handle adding lights to homekit

I've had a setup for a while, and just added a couple more lights,
once I paired them to the bridge using the Hue app, they automatically popped up in the home app

the only thing is don't ever "fix room mismatch" or something like that in the hue app. It will scramble your home. and change the room on your devices in home.

Reactions: Arran

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The only time you would need to check and enter the serial number on the actual bulb is if the bridge has difficulty finding it. I’ve had that issue a few times.

Reactions: Arran

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
The Philips Hue lights don’t have QR codes IIRC. You have to set them up via the Hue app connected to the bridge. It’s the bridge that then talks with HomeKit.

To add, I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying but I’m guessing that you have already got a Philips Hue light set up connected to the version 2 bridge (the square one) but you are not using HomeKit at the moment? If so, you go in to the Home app and add the bridge in there.
You seem knowledgeable! I am trying to discern that if yes I have the bridge device and a couple bulbs, could a HomePod then interface with it and control my lights? if its HomeKit does that automatically mean HomePod can handle it?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You seem knowledgeable! I am trying to discern that if yes I have the bridge device and a couple bulbs, could a HomePod then interface with it and control my lights? if its HomeKit does that automatically mean HomePod can handle it?
yes, if it's homekit, siri on the HomePod will be able to control it.
but you must add the devices to your home using the home app on your phone.

I should say "will be able to control it most of the time", because siri on the HomePod will randomly loose access to devices, while they still work fine from the phone. normally a reboot or time will fix it.

Reactions: RumorConsumer

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
yes, if it's homekit, siri on the HomePod will be able to control it.
but you must add the devices to your home using the home app on your phone.

I should say "will be able to control it most of the time", because siri on the HomePod will randomly loose access to devices, while they still work fine from the phone. normally a reboot or time will fix it.
Lord ok

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.