Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hello,
I have created an automation to open the main gate of my house when I am arriving home.

It works but...sometimes when I am at home, it triggers the opening as I were arriving home.

I have investigated and maybe the reason is that when I am at home, sometimes, not often the GPS location of my iPhone moves a bit randomly away from where I am, and therefore HomeKit gives the opening trigger when the GPS location”returns” home.

So am asking, has anyone experienced something similar?

Is there a solution to this issue that prevents me from activating this automation?

Thanks!
Dan

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hello,
I have created an automation to open the main gate of my house when I am arriving home.

It works but...sometimes when I am at home, it triggers the opening as I were arriving home.

I have investigated and maybe the reason is that when I am at home, sometimes, not often the GPS location of my iPhone moves a bit randomly away from where I am, and therefore HomeKit gives the opening trigger when the GPS location”returns” home.

So am asking, has anyone experienced something similar?

Is there a solution to this issue that prevents me from activating this automation?

Thanks!
Dan

For that particular automation go to "Location" and then instead of "home" type in your address. This will give you an adjustable geofence circle. Adjust that circle so the when you are at home a slight variation in GPS accurate wont move you out side of it.

Reactions: dcaccount

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
For that particular automation go to "Location" and then instead of "home" type in your address. This will give you an adjustable geofence circle. Adjust that circle so the when you are at home a slight variation in GPS accurate wont move you out side of it.
OP this happened to me and the above commenter solved my issue. I input ‘home’ as my geofence trigger but when I looked further into it, my home was being shown as somewhere in Africa. I don’t know why this happened but I just input my actual address and everything fixed related to the triggers and geofence.

Reactions: dcaccount

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I, too, notice my home location in HomeKit is slightly off, causing some issues with location-based automations. The problem with the solution of manually typing in your street address is that it removes other HomeKit home members from the automation unless use the pre-determined-by-whatever-Apple-witchcraft "Home" location assigned to your HomeKit instance.

I'm going to open a ticket with Apple to try to determine how this Home location is decided, as this has become an issue for me.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Well multi-person leave/arrive not working well again. Seems when me and the wife go out in the car together the "last person leaves" does not kick in. Arrive does work most of the time when we both arrive. Just this morning, wife was at work and I left..... leave worked as it should. But later when we both left together, nada.

I logged out of my ATV-4K iCloud, restarted it, then logged back in. Usually this helps. Apple really needs to give us some way to see when events happen (Nest app does, but its just as unreliable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.