Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tben1239

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
We have over 30 philips hue bulbs along with other smart home devices in our HomeKit. All have been working with limited issues until about a week ago when I noticed that random bulbs would be “updating” or no response. Eventually they would become available again, but this issue is still happening and more frequently. All bulbs reachable through philips hue app. (Seems to be a HomeKit issue)

Additionally, I would notice that my outdoor lights would still be on when it is well beyond sunrise. These bulbs are from the IKEA TRÅDFRI but were connected and able to be controlled manually. The automation for them to come on at sunset was still working but the automation to turn off at sunrise stopped. (All bulbs reachable through Ikea Trådfri app. (Seems to be a HomeKit issue)

Now both of our philips hue dimmer switches which have always been configured in HomeKit and worked for months with no issues do not turn any bulbs on or off. I have reset them and re-added and configured them. Nothing. Configured them in the philips hue app and they have no problem controlling the bulbs. Although the way they were configured in Apple HomeKit can not be duplicated in philips hue app. (HomeKit issue)

I did some reading and checked to see if my Apple TV 4K needed an update and restart. It did. It is current up to date and rebooted more than once. It is still the hub for the Apple HomeKit and nothing has improved.

I feel strongly that the issue is with HomeKit and not with all the individual products since they all work perfectly outside of the HomeKit app. Surely I can’t be the only one who’s home automation just went to trash with no solution?

Also my phone software is up to date as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have a bunch more smart devices coming this way on Christmas and I’d like it to work before then.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I am having similar issues, but also Hue App routines not working consistently either. Frustrating.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I have these issues from time to time as well, and I believe it's a synching issue between the home.app and philips hue.app trying to communicate with each other. Whatever the case may be, I really hope they address the problem. It doesn't happen often but it can be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.