Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
During the night our power was out due to a bad storm - about 4 hours. Today, all of my HomeKit accessories work, including smart lights - but for most, only at the switch.

Both Apple's Home app and the apps for Nanoleaf (A19 and Flood bulbs) and Meross (Flood bulbs) cannot detect the bulbs, even when they're on. FWIW, there's no electrical damage.

Strange, since some of these were often kept off at the switch and, when on, still responded to the apps and Siri commands. Further, my Nanoleaf LED strips work fine, including via Siri as do my Ecobee thermostats.

My Arris cable modem and TP-Link router are working fine and current on firmware updates. Most, if not all, of the bulbs are also current on firmware (though with Nanoleaf, it's a fairly constant barrage of updates).

I've power-cycled through the bulbs numerous times - both short and long durations (avoiding doing a reset; what a massive pain that is esp. since Nanoleaf doesn't have NFC, and scanning the QR code on 14 bulbs is sorta hard as they're in recessed cans in the ceilings).

Still, nothing works.
I'm trying to avoid having to do YET ANOTHER delete of unresponsive bulbs and manually setting them back up.
Any suggestions?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
No chance that the storm-related power loss created enough electrical "flicker" to reset those devices? Assuming it was a clean drop of power, about all I could think of would be to power cycle any and all WiFi APs. Then power-cycle the bulbs one last time and see if they reconnect.

Queen69

Suspended
Aug 11, 2023
I can say iOS 17 Beta has massively cleaned up how well my Apple TV / HomePod mini and smart home devices play well together. Sadly, the HomePod still isn't perfect with the 'not responding' messages but all other devices are playing much nicer together

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
UPDATE: No Better.
After last August's outage I took the time to reconfigure the lighting. The only change has been switching to T-Maybe's internet service in December, which is OK-ish at best.

Since last August I've had two more outages including a nasty 'equipment failure' on the local grid last week.
Same thing: I have to manually re-configure Every. Freaking. Light.

And, some of them aren't responding well. For example, the Nanoleaf app on my phone can get them to flicker when I identify them, but they won't connect to Homekit.

BTW, all my OSes are current, so it's not an iOS 16 or older Mac OS issue.

This is proving to be unworkable, but I'm hoping to find something that makes this all work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.